Aponogeton Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasgood

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up a new tank about 3 weeks ago. Last Wed I put the first fish in it as well as a package of Hybrid Aponogeton bulbs from Wal-Mart. The bulbs started sprouting the next day. None are more than a few inches high yet except one. This one plant has put out a narrow stem that has reached the top of the water and then some. It grew 3 inches in just 3 hours. I didn't add anything to help the plants grow. The tank has 30watts of light and it is 37gal.
This seems so strange and interesting to me. Will all of these bulb plants do this? Is it going to flower this quickly?

There's no telling which Aponogeton species you're going to get when you buy the packages of bulbs but they almost always include Aponogeton ulvaceus which is an incredibly fast grower once it gets started. There are a number of less commonly available Aponogeton species like A. natans that will put out two types of leaves....those that will float on the water's surface and a different type that remain submerged.

It is also possible that your Aponogeton has decided to toss up a flower or two to get things started! :)

i had one of those but it either broke off or my snails ate it ;'(. but oh well. i love my snails. mine took like 2 weeks 2 sprout but its partially my fault because i buried them. i have 3 live ones in my tank. and their one of the coolest plants in there besides the java fern, compacta sword. yeah their cool plants. and you should try the dwarf nymphaea frmo there too. gives your tank a nice red tinge. but make sure you dont fiddle too much because thats my problem and i killed like 2 of them that way. the leaves fall of reall easily

Well the first stalk has flowered and the plant is sending a second stalk up. Another of these bulbs is shooting up a stalk as well. The others are growing at a slower pace.
During a partial water change today I spread them out a bit and half buried the bulbs. Will see how much they grow and if needed move them.
They seem to be a hardly group of plants.

These plants have gone nuts flowering. Two have shot up three stems and flowers with a fourth on the way from both. A third plant is sending up its first two stems to the surface. All this in 2 weeks.
The last of the bulbs have sprouted. They are a more rounded bulb so I think will look different.
Never would have thought the plants would be as cool to watch as the fish.

Ok it has been 5 weeks now. I have seeds sprouting all over my tank. The origanal plants are still sending flower stems to the surface. These Aponogeton bulbs from Wal-Mart have gone wild.

Never would have thought the plants could be this much fun. Everyone needs at least one plant in there tank.

I now have two of these bulbs doing the same thing in my ten gallon tank. One has grown about 6 inches today, roughly an inch and a half in the last 4 hours and has grown from barely touhing the water surface to completely emerging from the water since Ive been reading this post. Is it going to attack my family??? :eek:
Im wondering if I should prevent the growth by trimming or if I should leave it be. These things are nuts!! Since I replaced my two incandescent bulbs with 6500K CF screw-in replacement bulbs (10 Watts each) these plants have gone absolutely insane!

Everyone needs at least one plant in there tank.

If they did, it would only be a short time before they had a tankfull, imo.

Back
Top Bottom