aponogeton bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 5 of these plants in my tank now, they sprouted months ago, and I just bought some more because they were really easy to grow. I read on one site that says, when they stop producing leaves, they need to be taken out and kept at 60* for two months. Then I read somewhere else that some can spend the dormant time right in the tank, and will grow again all on their own. I have one bulb that quit sending up leaves a while ago. Should I take it out and put it outside? Do I need to keep it in water if I do this, and does it need to be kept in the dark as well? TIA!

Rest Period: With the exception of A. rigidifolius, all Aponogetons need a rest period of one to two months. When the leaves begin to die back, usually in the early fall (midwest USA) remove the plant, and store in clean, barely damp sand in a cool place. Keep in mind that many of the species have been crossed and do not seem to respond to a rest period like those that have been "farmed" with a bit of integrity.

That's what I've found, tho I have no personal experience (I have a very brown thumb, got into aquarium plants since I don't have to remember to water them)

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...arium.org/masartan.htm+aponogeton+bulbs&hl=en

The quote you found is correct. I have put the bulbs in damp sand in the refrigerator for up to 4 months. After this time, I clean them off, wrap them loosely in a damp paper towel and then in a plastic bag. They are then placed in a warm place for a few days until they sprout. I have also done this with lily bulbs. I agree with the quote that it is not always successful.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom