Aponogeton crispus doesn't look so good...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I bought an aponogeton crispus 2 weeks ago and put it into my 45 gallon. Now, I'm not that great with plants really, and I get by mostly on pure dumb luck, so when I was told that it could grow in my tank I went ahead and bought it. The tank is 45 gallons, 36"Lx12"Wx24"H, and it has an AGA NO twin tube flourescent w/aluminum reflector, 2x25W. I know that isn't much but it is the best I can do right now. I'm growing vals, anubias, crypts, and hygro with no issues. The tank has pool filter sand as substrate- again, I know this isn't ideal, but after all that moving around, combining, and tearing down I did with my tanks that weekend, I was NOT in the mood for a substrate change! :lol: My lighting is low so I do not use CO2 or ferts.

My problem is that the apon just doesn't look all that great. The leaves look transparent, and they aren't really very green. I wouldn't say that the plant looks like it is dying, but it doesn't look as though it is thriving, either. Is there something I can do for it, or do I just not have enough light, period? Or, is it similar to crypts in that it hates being moved, and will recover eventually? Thanks.

Light could be an issue, 45s are very deep and you are just barely over 1 wpg. You might also give the plant a root tab or two as I think Aponogetons might be similar to crypts and swords in that they are heavy root feeders. If your plant was used to much higher light then it will have to adjust to the new lower light level and might look sad for a while. I had a crispus for a while and mine did not like to be crowded in with the other plants, either, so make sure it has its space!

Hmm, I should try the root tabs then. Surprisingly, the crypts are looking great though.

And yes, the plant was used to being in higher light. It came out of the LFS display tank, 80 gallon corner tank w/ Current Orbit PC light. I'm sure it was a bit of a shock for the plant.

I agree with the root tabs, crispus needs a mineral rich substrate, but do not agree with the light. Your using NO bulbs than 50 Watts is about medium light and the crispus is one of the most versitile plants out there. It can grow in almost any light. You should be aware that Aponogeton undulatus is often sold under the false name of Aponogeton crispus however and also you can find a hybrid of the two sold under the same name as well.

Thanks Alshain, I will pick up some root tabs when I get paid. I was a bit concerned about the light because as Newfound mentioned, it is a very deep tank (24"). I think it MAY be possible to replace the 25W bulbs with 30W bulbs, but I will have to look into that. I believe that the AGA website says that the strip is 60W total, but mine only came with 50W.

I fail to see how 50 watts of fluorescent light over a 45 gallon aquarium would be medium light. If we're dealing with T8 bulbs then it might be as high as medium low light, but that's not taking into account the height of the aquarium which would descrease the efficiency some.

Back
Top Bottom