Aponogetons flowering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another time where a camera would be useful....

Well yesterday I pulled off the filter on my 5 gallon (it is situated above the water) and found that one of my aponogetons had already flowered and another already had a bloom above the surface. The flower was in the shape of a Y and had very small white flowers going around the two extensions of the Y. There also seems to be another flower coming up from the same plant. I was wondering if the plant would produce seeds?

Also in my 10 gallon there seems to be an underwater bloom from another aponogeton (I have about 15 aponogetons in all 3 tanks...) and it is very different from the above water blooms.

Very cool. Too bad I don't have any pictures....

I'm not sure if there's anything you need to do. I think the flowers will eventually produce seeds although I can't say for sure. Keep us informed, I'm curious how it will turn out.

The other aponogeton in my 5 gallon just "opened" last night. It doesn't really open it's just a point about 1.5cm long shaped like a cone about 2-3 inchs above the surface of the water. You can see the "cone" thing solid green and then apparently it has a very thin cover on it that comes off when the flowers come out. There are lots of VERY small yellow flowers on this one.

The first flower cone that was white with 2 of the cone things is now dead floating on the surface of the water (the flower, not the plant).

I'll keep posting any new things I see happen. Please tell me if I need to clarify anything I've already said.

I used a fine brush to pollinate the flowers, and got seeds. If you leave them, the seeds will fall off, sink to the bottom and germinate. Getting them to adult size is another thing. It is recommended that they be planted in shallow containers with just enough water to cover them, and add water as they grow. When they are big enough, you can add them to a tank.

Back
Top Bottom