Aqua scraping with larger rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on using soil with a sand cap and my substrate. I have over 80 pounds of stone I plan on using to scape the tank (75 gallon) and a few are pretty heavy. Sound I place the substrate in first then the stone or the stone then try to layer the substrate around it?

On one hand I think the heavier rocks on the glass could be an issue and it also will be harder to put in the soil with the cap and may become a muddy mess

On the other hand the rocks on the substrate could lead to settling over time and movement and that could cause some mud and maybe a collapse.

Any other suggestions? A layer of pea gravel crossed my mind to distribute the weight, not sure how that would work with the soil. Some sort of pad under the rocks? What would I use for that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have over 200 lbs. Of limestone hardscape in my 120 gal. There is a 4" deep substrate bed of small grain rounded river gravel. The rocks were positioned on top of the substrate. No egg crate. The tank has been up & running for many years. Occasionally I have to back fill around a rock if a fish digs a nest, but to disasters.

Back
Top Bottom