Aqua soil ADA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkfin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my dear friends! Has anyone ever used this (people say) amazing substrate for planted aquariums? Im thinking on buying some but Id like to hear experiences and what you guys think??

It's regarded as the best substrate you can buy for planted tanks by a lot of hobbyists. Plants love it and it's a very attractive substrate. It's also loaded with nutrients. Only thing to be cautious about is that it leaches ammonia at first which is good for the plants and for tanks cycling. Other than that, well it's not cheap.

It is nutrient-rich, however whether or not it's worth the high price is something you have to decide (around $50 per 9l bag, I remember?) I have gotten great results from capped mineralized topsoil, and it cost a total of $15 to go that route in my 55g. Nice growth for a fraction of the cost - it does not buffer the water like aquasoil, however if you already have soft water that shouldn't matter. It also does not offer the scaping options that aquasoil does. Whether or not those extra features are worth it is up to you - however just from a nutrient standpoint, capped dirt is much more economical.

I have to think that Aquasoil is much convienent than dirt. All those water changes early on, the mess of rescaping, and tannins. Personally, I doubt I'll ever do dirt. But, Bill is right! Aquasoil is really not that much more expensive than any other commercial substrate. Eco at my petsmart is 20$ for 20lbs. AS is 30$ for 20 pounds, but with Aquasoil you're getting the best plant substrate on the market, an attractive substrate, and it also drops Ph and Kh. Where they really get you is shipping! Shipping is 2/3 of the AS itself. I think all in all, AS is a great investment. Bud is right though, it is much more economical.

If you can get it locally, accept no substitute. Unfortunately, the shipping can really be a kick in the teeth, and availability can be hit and miss. It's a great addition to a tank, but there are potentially better places to spend your money if you're just getting started.

Back
Top Bottom