Aquarium advice and potential build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, my little 5G on my desk has had me longing for more room almost from day one. I was considering getting something in the 30-40 gallon range, but I have a tiny house and something like that would only fit in my bedroom.

I actually really like the idea of a serene tank in my bedroom, something with moonlights, but it seems like a shame that I wouldn't see as much of it.

I was at the LFS yesterday picking up some adorable orange shrimp for my 5G and I took a browse through the tanks.

They had an Aqueon 13 gallon widescreen on a lovely stand. That's a lot smaller than I was planning to go - but it was really elegant looking and I have the perfect spot for it in my living room. (I work from home and see clients at home so I love the idea of making my living room / office seem even more "professional" and the addition of tanks might do that.)

I realize 13g doesn't give me a ton of room to work with, but it seems like I could come up with an elegant scape with some delicate wood and well placed plants.

As for fish, a small school of rasboras would probably work... and maybe something that stays on the bottom of the tank. Maybe even one centerpiece fish like a betta?

I've been researching like mad but I can't find much info on these tanks. I haven't found any actual reviews and only a couple stocking questions and unboxings on youtube.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated and who knows, maybe this can turn into my first build thread!

No one has experience with these?

Still leaning towards this tank. Today's stocking thoughts are peacock gudgeon and forktail rainbowfish.

I was also eying diamond tetras at the LFS yesterday.

I can really see how this MTS develops... ;)

Aquaeon always had good built tanks an decent customer service if a bit slow. I never had any personal experience with this tank my self. An any tank can be amazing if the proper steps are taken. When you stock this tank look at nano species such as celestial pearl danios, green neons, scarlet badis, sparkling groumai.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In all honesty theres not a whole lot of difference between tanks unless you get into the super expensive ones.

Thank you for the feedback!

I guess it's not just the quality of the tank I'm wondering about, but also considerations about the dimensions. Like whether the narrow depth will be a problem or if there will be filtration issues, etc.

In a choice of tank sizes, either a 40b or a 75g would be mu prinary considerations.

They both have 18" from front to back which is really nice.

Unfortunately my tiny house makes both of those impossible.

I can either get a very small tank for the living room, like the 13 gallon, or I can put something on my bedroom dresser which has a footprint of 36X17.

I'm tempted to go the bedroom option because I could get 30-40 gallons on there, but it would be so high up that maintenance would be a pain in the tush and as nice as it would be to have a bedroom aquarium I think I'd be sad that I wasn't in the room to look at it as much.

Unfortunately my tiny house makes both of those impossible.

I can either get a very small tank for the living room, like the 13 gallon, or I can put something on my bedroom dresser which has a footprint of 36X17.

I'm tempted to go the bedroom option because I could get 30-40 gallons on there, but it would be so high up that maintenance would be a pain in the tush and as nice as it would be to have a bedroom aquarium I think I'd be sad that I wasn't in the room to look at it as much.
I wouldnt put a large tank on a dresser. Its just not made for it. A 40g tank weighs in at around 400lbs.

Have you thought about a hex or column tank? Tiny footprint.

I wouldnt put a large tank on a dresser. Its just not made for it. A 40g tank weighs in at around 400lbs.

Have you thought about a hex or column tank? Tiny footprint.

I was looking at the 29 gallon tanks. Seemed like a reasonable weight. The dresser is real wood - a vintage Heywood Wakefield - so it could hold more than the particle board furniture of today. But maybe it still isn't a good idea.

As for the hex, I haven't looked into those much. From the threads I've read it sounds like the lack of side to side swimming space and the limited surface area for oxygen exchange end up meaning that the extra gallons don't really buy you much more flexibility in stocking over a smaller, but standard shaped, tank.

Back
Top Bottom