Aquarium grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eternal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can I make my aquarium look like this? What type of grass do I need to get, where do I get it, and around how much will it cost me?

Attachments

• image-619090026.jpg
    image-619090026.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 383
How much light you have will determine what grass you can grow, or rather, any grass at all. Hairgrasses need quite a bit of light to grow in thick like that. Anyways that looks like E. Belem which is actually pretty expensive and slow growing. Expect to wait at least a year to get anywhere close to that with such a plant.

Alright thanks for the help. Very much appreciated

That is a stunning tank... it is an ADA setup, with high light and co2 injection. The whole setup would probably set you back around $2500 when all is said and done...

Grass-like plants are some of the more challenging plants in the hobby. On top of that, that tank is painstakingly manicured. It does not all grow in like that at the same height. It has to be scaped. It requires some very good lighting, and careful balancing of aquatic fertilizers.

There are lots of great links in the resources and references sticky in the main plant forum here. If you are interested in planted tanks, that would be a good place to start. It will help you gain an understanding of what is involved in successfully keeping planted tanks of varying levels.

Fort384- that was very helpful and that's a lot of money to put in a tank lol but I might just try it

http://www.adana-usa.com/

They sell all the Ada gear. All very expensive but all very high quality. I think the clean look of the equipment helps add to the sleek look of a tank like that.

I would recommend doing a lot of homework and trying your hand at keeping some lower light plants in a regular tank to start out. A tank like the one you linked requires a lot of TLC... Daily maintenance, and a lot of experience. With high tech/high light tanks things can happen quickly, and it would be a lot of frustration to someone just starting out in the hobby.

Good luck! I too suggest getting practice in first. Plant costs stack up quick if you aren't doing things right.

Ya I'll practice for sure. I have a couple of small tanks where I can do that

The "grass" up higher in the aquarium looks like flame moss. I don't know about the ground cover.

As Fort said, that's a very high maintenance tank. It probably requires daily trimming to keep it looking like that. You can replicate something like that with lower light and maintenance requirements if you do your homework and have some patience.. Flame moss is more demanding than java moss, but it's still moss. It'll grow under low light, just not very quickly.

I think the right hardscape makes a planted tank. I've seen nice planted tanks with relatively flat bottoms, but they don't compare to the tanks that use rocks and driftwood to add elevation and some visual pop.

Back
Top Bottom