Aquarium grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michael61182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for a grass that I can plant in my tank that will spread across the entire bottom. I have a new 125 gallon with a few plants already.

One very important factor to a low growing plant is lighting. For us to better help we need to know what kind of lighting you have (ex: Incandescent, Compact Fluorescent, T5, T5HO, T8). Also do you dose fertilizers? How about Co2?

I doubt those lights will grow a plant like dwarf hairgrass
You would need to upgrade your light

michael61182 said:
Something like this. 2 of them on my 125 G

I would put some fluorescent bulbs in there instead. Incandescent bulbs are very yellow and inefficient.

You would need a few of those shop light fixtures. With compact fluorescents you could theoretically grow low light plants. I think those sockets are rated for 75 watts or something. You could put a 55 watt cfl in each.

Sorry I'm new to all of these terms. I do have a cfl in there, I guess its not incandescent. I'm not sure what size though. Thanks for your input. I think ill try to pick up some dwarf sag.

michael61182 said:
Sorry I'm new to all of these terms. I do have a cfl in there, I guess its not incandescent. I'm not sure what size though. Thanks for your input. I think ill try to pick up some dwarf sag.

No you do not have a cfl in that picture. The cfl is the spiral shape screw in fluorescents. They have a better lumen per watt ratio than incandescent bulbs ( what you have pictured ).

Yeah, what is picture I found on the internet, as I'm not home right now to take a picture. It is the same type of fixture that have though and I do have cfl's.

Oh okay then. You could find the max watts on the fixture and then use a bulb in accordance. I had a 20 gallon standard that I had lit with a spot light and cfl like that and I put a higher light plant under the strongest beam of light and put low light plants around the outer light. With a 125 gallon I believe you'll run into a lighting issue unless you get more spotlights. If you spend more than 100 dollars you could just buy a 4 ft oddysea light fixture with t5 bulbs that will provide all the light you need.

To get a full carpet, you're going to either need CO2, or have 5-10 years to wait for it to grow (if you're lucky).

aqua_chem said:
To get a full carpet, you're going to either need CO2, or have 5-10 years to wait for it to grow (if you're lucky).

Definitely right. That's a big tank with a lot of ground to cover and grass is slow growing. However I look at it, I don't see a healthy carpet growing without co2 and more light. I used 2 CFLs, like you have, on my 20 gallon along with co2 liquid ferts and root tabs and couldn't get grass to carpet quickly.

Interesting, thanks everyone for your input. I don't know about investing in a co2 tank right now, but maybe a stronger light fixture.
So looks like I don't have anymore options for covering the bottom in green. It doesn't have to been instant, but I didn't want to wait years either though.

Dwarf sag or glosso both grow much faster. With more light (nothing crazy), fertilizers, and root tabs you should be able to get it growing without co2. It's been done.

Glosso will need strong light and CO2 as well to grow well. Dwarf sag won't, but it won't spread out as fast either.

aqua_chem said:
Glosso will need strong light and CO2 as well to grow well. Dwarf sag won't, but it won't spread out as fast either.

I'm sure your right about that. I've only heard from other people that they have had some success growing it with medium light, ferts and Excell. They were smaller tanks than the OPs though. I haven't grown it myself without co2. He's going to need more light in any event. Better to stick with Dwarf sag.

My 55 is covered in the foreground very well with dwarf sag. Granted I have ferts and a t5 fixture. I also started with 40 plus dwarf sag plants. It took about six months

Back
Top Bottom