Aquarium Reboot - Starting in June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

I have asked some questions recently on here about equipment. I have gotten that all figured out. I have also asked question about fertilizers. I think I have gotten that figured out as well. I hope with the addition of regular fert dosing I will be able to dive into some different plants. I'm planning on going with a low tech setup. Here is what I have in mind. Please feel free to comment on what might work/might not work. Thanks!

Equipment:
20gallon long
AquaClear 50
75w Eheim Jager heater
Finnex Planted Plus

Fish:
Harlequin Rasboras and/or rummy nose tetras -- If I have both that might be too much traffic mid-level.
Possibly white cloud minnows
Juli Corys

Fertilizer:
Green Leaf Aquariums: PPS-Pro
SeaChem - Excel

Substrate:
Organic Soil
Capped with Eco-Complete

Plants:
Rotala Indicia
Cabomba Caroliniana
Wisteria
Bacoba Carolina
Maybe Star Grass?
Pearl Grass
Staurogyne repens
Dwarf Sag
Crypts of some variety

I'm not the best one to ask, I generally chuck them in my tank (or my wife does) and hope they live. Just be aware every tank and situation is different, there are just so many variables. Some will do better than expected, some do worse. Some low tech plants I just can't grow. Wisteria, Java ferns and anubias have done well for me, buy I few and see how you get along then buy more of what works for you.

I'm not the best one to ask, I generally chuck them in my tank (or my wife does) and hope they live. Just be aware every tank and situation is different, there are just so many variables. Some will do better than expected, some do worse. Some low tech plants I just can't grow. Wisteria, Java ferns and anubias have done well for me, buy I few and see how you get along then buy more of what works for you.
Well I hear ya on the some plants don't do well.. I can't grow jungle val. Lol

Another question I have, is if I'm following the pps-pro fert method, and I start dosing while I'm cycling the tank, am I to do the water changes that are suppose to be done while I'm cycling the tank?

Another question I have, is if I'm following the pps-pro fert method, and I start dosing while I'm cycling the tank, am I to do the water changes that are suppose to be done while I'm cycling the tank?

Yep keep your changes as normal and dose after the change :)

Ei requires a weekly water change because nutrients are supplied in an unlimited amount. You change water to "reset" the water column.

In pps-pro nutrients are supplied daily, but only as much as plants can use there is no buildup, hence no need for extra water changes.

This is my understanding as to how the two fertilizer routines work and are different. I have found this to be absolutely correct, in fact with my lightly stocked, planted tank I can go two weeks without a water change, I don't but change weekly anyway even though nitrates are always 20 or under.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I will be doing a fishless cycle. I'm really eager to get this started. All my equipment arrived yesterday. I still have to order the ferts and plants, but still have a few more weeks till I can get everything set up. I'm probably going to fill/drain the tank a few times to get some excess nutrients from the dirt out as well as floating debris from the soil.

Well I know it's not June, but I finally got it going again. Working on cycling without fish. The nitrites are over 5 and the nitrates are around 30. So far so good ?
20170826_161852.jpg

Back
Top Bottom