Aquascape and DIY co2 advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hassan.afzal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys so I finally registered to the forum because every one seems really knowledgeable and helpful here :D

so im fairly new to planted tanks I need advice on what plants I should put in? don't want something really hard to keep as its not a high tec tank its a 125l (27gallon) with 2-38watts of t8 and DIY co2

plants
- anubias nana
- java fern

i know these plants should be alight with the set-up I've got but i want them lush green so do you guys think i should add liquid carbon (easycarbo) with DIY co2 as i bought one earlier or should i just return it and buy some liquid fertilizers?
the shop guy said easycarb has carbon and other essential minerals that's plants need (I'm not sure about that lol)

any liquid fertilizers you guys recommend on a budget ?

thanks guys !

Good start to the tank, looking good - think that's a Juwel tank.

Link that might help
http://eveliens.hubpages.com/hub/Aquatic-Plants-for-Beginners

I use Seachem Flourish and Flourish Tabs, a bit expensive but lasts for ages, flourish 5ml for a 250 litre tank once or twice a week. I wouldn't worry about the easicarb - it give me more problems than what it was worth. If your in the UK, check out The Green Machine, they do a massive range of plants and are separated into easy grow and hard grow.

Attachments

• image-2414807930.jpg
    image-2414807930.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 151
Good start to the tank, looking good - think that's a Juwel tank.

Link that might help
Aquatics: Low Light, Beginner Aquarium Plants

I use Seachem Flourish and Flourish Tabs, a bit expensive but lasts for ages, flourish 5ml for a 250 litre tank once or twice a week. I wouldn't worry about the easicarb - it give me more problems than what it was worth. If your in the UK, check out The Green Machine, they do a massive range of plants and are separated into easy grow and hard grow.

thanks alot for your reply :)
your plants look really healthy and you tank looks absoulty great
I normally buy my plants from Ebay as they are much cheaper, so yh i will return easycarb and get a Seachem Flourish instead, I got a Oliver knott substrate so ill save the tabs for later ( as I'm on a low budget)

thanks again for your reply :D

hi thanks for the reply
you tank looks great and you plants are Soo healthy !
Yh so ill take the easycarb back and get a Seachem Flourish instead :D
I got a really good substrate (oliver knott ) so ill save the tabs for later as I'm on a low budget.
And I get a plants on Ebay as greenmachine are very expensive
thanks again for your reply will keep you updated with my first aquascape ^_^

just checked out his shop his got a good variety
will order some next week :)
Not sure if should put some Vallisneria or tall hairgrass in the left corner
any help ? ( is hairgrass a needy plant ?)

Hairgrass is a lot more demanding than vals. I would recommend vals for your tank over hairgrass. That being said, you could certainly try both. Most hairgrass species won't get more than a few inches tall, so they fill different niches. You already have CO2 running, so that's half the battle. The light is the only thing that the hairgrass may not like.

I've both his Vallisneria Spiralis and his Hairgrass in my tank, both grow like
crazy - do not use easicarb with Valls. Remember he only posts Wesnesdays, only draw back with him. I have the Juwel T5 day at the back and the T5 colour at the front in my tank - not sure what light unit is in your Juwel tank, but stick the Day bulb in there - it will help, Plus aqua_chem - who commented is possibly the most noligable aquatic plant forum member I've ever talked to, and I've been on a few forums - if he suggests something, do it - it works!

I have to cut about an inch or more of my Hairgrass every week, went on holiday earlier this year for 10 days and when I came back the tank was like a jungle! I only use Flourish, and Flourish Tabs, no CO2, fully stocked with fish and tank been running about 6 months. When I used the liquid carbon I ended up with Black Hair Algae and melted Vallisneria, think that's what caused both anyway, trying to sort it at present with good success, thanks again to aqua_chem and his Hydrogen Peroxide advice.

Attachments

• image-2563517661.jpg
    image-2563517661.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
hair grass looks very healthy !!!
Yhh ill try hair grass later on when I've upgraded my lighting , for now ill order vals, I had them in my gold fish tank but I sold the vals along with the small tank -.- gutted lol

any easy carpet plant you know ? other then java moss i want something thats bright green not dark
plus the java moss clogs up the filter

Your tank looks really great!!! I use the flourish and root tabs as well and the last like previously stated:)

I would suggest Dwarf Saggittarius for a carpet plant. It should grow fine in your tank.

You have (probably) moderate light, good substrate, and co2. You are not as limited as most people with regards to foreground choice, especially given a comprehensive dosing regimen. Feel free to branch out some.

I'll throw out Staurogyne repens for your consideration. It has lower light requirement than some foregrounds and is a more user friendly foreground than some of the more popular foreground choices (HC).

Thanks Alot Guys !!

thanks for all your advice guys really helpfull !!:dance:
I will be getting Seachem flourish , vals and the Staurogyne repens for the carpet on friday (PAY DAY !! :brows: )

Thanks again guys

Back
Top Bottom