Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstephen

Aquarium Advice Activist
IMG_0149.JPG
I really want to put rotala and bacopa in this tank. Can someone refer me to what type, and where exactly they would look the best?

Bacopa monnieri is a cute looking little plant mid ground. The one you usually see is the taller neat looking one which is Carolinia.

The Rotala Roundifolia I understand also called Rotala Indicia it doesn't ever want to grow for me but people swear by it. Prefers an area near the light bulb. A little brighter light for the reddish orangish color to develop.

When you get the plants soak them in a bucket for a few hours to over night in treated water, or even the pwc water with an extra dose of Prime in it and rinse in tank temp water first, before soaking.

This will help get off any gunk and just clean it a bit. Sometimes plants are treated when being imported, for pests. I always just feel better giving them a rinse so less to none of the weird chemicals will effect my tank.

Tall plant best to the rear areas. Good for camouflaging the equipment tubes /heater.

Also the stem plants will like some liquid fertilizing.

The Sword you have will enjoy some root tabs. Add them down 3 inches or so.

They will also appreciate being planted individually at least a centimeter apart, off center pattern, like the pattern on a 5 dice. Even a little further apart here and there. The point that light can get to each stem, to the bottom.

Think about the leaves of the plant you are using. Light green look nice behind a dark green leaf. The Bacopa Carolinia behind the DW with the Anubias on it.

By alternating color and textures you can create a more interesting aquascape.

Some things create a focal point. Red is an eye catcher. Some times using it all over in different places is more distracting like polka dots in a pattern. Too much.

But using a plant in a bold small patch can attract attention and help lead your eye into the scape.

Large leaves might look better to the rear area of a tank for scale.

I know people are sometimes haters for the old standby rule of 3rds, but when starting a tank it can be useful to gain an appealing design. After you get a feel for what you like to see don't worry about the rule of 3rds.

Doing /learning, even by trial and error, or just changing your mind, is an excellent way to practice the art. When you see something you like, enjoy it.

One person my love seeing a "no fishing" sign ornament in their tank, then they should have one. someone else couldn't stand it.

Your tank should be about what you enjoy (with consideration for the fish needs as a priority).

Sometimes a plant is fine when it is small or new, but then gets acclimated to the tank and starts to take over, it might need to be trimmed, moved or removed from the tank.

For stems, you can trim and replant the top parts if you want to increase the impact/ number of plants. They will grow roots from the nodules where the leaves come out, so make sure to get at least 2 of those in the substrate when you trim and replant. Pinch or cut off the leaves at the bottom of the nodes and plant.

The Bacopa Compact monnieri is also called Moneywort. Way too many names for plants!

That might look nice behind the green plant in the very front to the left and in front of the Sword.

Maybe move the Sword forward 3 inches and left 2-3 inches.

Put the Rotala in the rear center left a little.

Little DW in rear center moved up to grass in front center just to the left beside and behind it, which would also be in front of the Moneywort.

Rotala rear center left, close to the light, not right up against the back.

The Sword might need to be moved a little if it doesn't get taller.

You had asked for my suggestions earlier, so maybe this would be useful. Or make it any way you like, your tank, your way.

Thank you very much that was helpful!! Is there any other plants you would suggest besides rotala and bacopa?

Back
Top Bottom