aquascaping tools..pretty cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like the kit I bought when first getting started with aquatic plants. If it is the same one then the only tool that I still use is the tweezers. The scissors weren't sharp enough to be good for trimming the tougher plants and tend to twist instead of cutting. I never found the leveler to be anything but awkward to use. The case is very nice though and I use the tweezers on a weekly basis to help with planting and maintenance.

so the levelar is pretty much useless? I thought about buying the kit, but I already have an awesome set of long medical like tweezers and some really sharp long durable medical scissors.

My fish and snails always end up leveling out my sand for me. Just toss some food on the bottom and they'll kick it up and it'll resettle evenly.

A good pair of long, sharp scissors and some long tweezers are the two most useful tools I've got. Some small, pointed tweezers are also great for plant things like Glosso and Elatine. Here's a picture of all the tools I've collected over the years, most of which just sit around and don't often get used:

Tools_300605_x800.jpg

The leveler may be helpful for some people, but I could never get the hang of it. I always found that it was just easier to use my fingers to brush the subtrate into place. There are stores that sell them separately if you want to give them a try without having to buy the entire kit.

Travis - Out of curiousity, which of those tools do you use the most often?

Purrbox said:
Travis - Out of curiousity, which of those tools do you use the most often?

I use the long scissors and long tweezers the most, probably because they let me work down in bunches of plants. The notched scissors are great for pruning because you can grab a single stem with them and snip it without worrying about cutting other nearby stems. The short, spring loaded scissors are great for pruning large, thick stems and cutting plastic sheets for aquascaping. The small tweezers come in handy for delicate and small plants. The clamps I have rarely found any use for, but they came with the scissors :)

Back
Top Bottom