Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Aquatek co2 system help!

:bang head: This has been a lot harder than i thought it would be. first of all i broke by bubble counter and I'm having a hard time setting up the system so it doesn't slowley lose pressure and eventually stop, and then have to adjust the needle valve and output valves. Can some other owners help me? Its also on a 5 gallon co2 tank if that matters. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't have a CO2 cylinder yet, but I have worked on gas systems. Make sure everything is sealed tight but not over tight. Check your connection with soap water to see if there is a leak.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok ill check on thatÖ should that keep a consistent amount of co2 coming through the diffuser? my problem is that is that the amount of co2 coming through slowly decreases until there is no more but a little almost microscopic bubble stream.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can always attach something to check pressure down the line to determine pressure loss from solenoid to diffuser.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What would i attach to gauge the pressure coming out the other end?
Old 01-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

make sure that the valve on the 5# cylinder is opened enough. I had the same problem before and that's what it was. In the video from Aquatek he says to turn it a couple of turns, it doesn't have to be all the way open but open enough. Barely opened won't work. That's my experience anyway. Hope you get it figured out!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Run your operating pressure at around 20psi. Then adjust the needle valve for the flow into the tank. If your pressure keeps dropping off, that suggests a small leak somewhere in the system. Like posted earlier, mix up some soapy water, and check for leaks. As far as the amount of CO2 in the tank, your drop checker will give you an idea of the concentration.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquatek regulators are notorious for fluctuating working pressure. I went through 3 of there premium regulators before I gave up. The only thing that made the pressure fluctuate less was crank It up to 60 psi, but then it's difficult to adjust.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Entry level regulators and needle valves are known to not be as high precision as systems that are more expensive (i.e. GLA regulators), so I try to limit my expectations. IME owning 3 aquatek mini regulators, the bubble count can fluctuate from what you last set it to, especially after initial setup on a new regulator. The mini regulators don't have adjustable working pressure as their full-sized siblings, but from what I've seen from those who own them, coupled with my experience, they eventually start staying on the BPS rate you set them on after an unexplained 'break in' period. Just today I had to readjust a needle valve on 1 of 3 of them back to 2 BPS. I had it on 2 BPS about two days ago... today it was less than 1 bps on a 80% full paintball CO2 tank.

It doesn't bother me all that much. I've come to expect this less than perfect performance due to the value in which I've paid for them. I just make it part of my routines to fertilize, check CO2 levels (bps and such), and feed the fish... everyday.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok Thanks guys! I got it running smoothly and I think it's good. Thank you for the quick replies.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Ok Thanks guys! I got it running smoothly and I think it's good. Thank you for the quick replies.
What did it end up being?

Tags
ate, co2, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com