Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aquatek Regulator Help

I'm having an issue with my Aquatek regulator. It's connected to my Apex and I have it setup to operate on/off based on the pH. It's been in service for a week and has been working great, but now itís not shutting off. I unplugged the solenoid and itís still running. I was finally able to get it to stop by continually toggling the outlet on/off. Itís plugged into the Apex outlet controlled by mechanical relays. The solenoid works best in this outlet because of its low power requirement. I disassembled and cleaned the solenoid per Aquatekís instructions, butís it is still not shutting off. There is no audible click from the solenoid. Has anyone else had an issue with Aquatekís regulators? Iíve contacted Aquatek, but Iím not expecting much in terms of warranty. Although Iíve only used it for a week, I bought it last October. Iím wondering if I should replace the solenoid or go with another brand regulator entirely. Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

1st of all a solenoid is electrical, and controls a valve for on or off.

a regulator is usually purely mechanical and requires mechanical adjustment to reduce the pressure from tank PSI to a lower more usable pressure (PSI)

SO if I understand you correctly you remove power completely from the solenoid and its still runs as if it was powered on.

I would say the valve itself, that is what the solenoid connects to is bad (not the regulator) and needs to be replaced.

Now if a solenoid is rated for low power and you apply the wrong power to it you can cause it to fry.. OS make sure the power ratings are 100% correct

So the only part that would be bad in the case of the photo above and IN MY OPINION is the aluminum bodied valve sandwich between all that brass
Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, regulator

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com