Aragonite Sand for Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pradeepcec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is the caribSea Aragonite sand good for plants? I know it raises the pH of the tank. I have a small 5 gallon waterfall tank which I am planning to add the above sand. Can I add live plants in it?

It will be a freshwater tank.

Thank you

I'd say it's not a great idea as plants generally like slightly acidic water. Unless your ph is already in the low 6's I wouldn't use the sand.

If your after the sandy bottom look you'll be better off with pool filter sand and root tabs [emoji106]

I'd say it's not a great idea as plants generally like slightly acidic water. Unless your ph is already in the low 6's I wouldn't use the sand.

If your after the sandy bottom look you'll be better off with pool filter sand and root tabs [emoji106]

Hmm ok thank you. Are there any fishes that goes well with this high pH of 8.6 or so?

Hmm ok thank you. Are there any fishes that goes well with this high pH of 8.6 or so?

I'm pretty sure most fish will do fine in a higher ph environment, I'm pretty sure it's only a select few like discus that need acidic ph levels? Not 100% sure though. My ph is 7.4 from the tap so I haven't kept fish any higher than that before

I'm pretty sure most fish will do fine in a higher ph environment, I'm pretty sure it's only a select few like discus that need acidic ph levels? Not 100% sure though. My ph is 7.4 from the tap so I haven't kept fish any higher than that before

Ok I actually had to replace the aragonite sand back with my regular black gravel because my pH was too high for any fish I guess and since I want to have a betta in it, I thought I will not take risk.

Argonite is basically sea shells and coral ground up and that adds calcium and hardness to the water

It also supposedly removes nitrates.. We want nitrates for the plants to feed on

Most plants don't do well in high PH because high PH is an indicator of low CO2 lvls....... PH KH and CO2 are intertwined.

Argonite is basically sea shells and coral ground up and that adds calcium and hardness to the water

It also supposedly removes nitrates.. We want nitrates for the plants to feed on

Most plants don't do well in high PH because high PH is an indicator of low CO2 lvls....... PH KH and CO2 are intertwined.

The aragonite only removes nitrates in a deep sand bed (4"+ deep), but you're absolutely right. Aragonite generally isn't desirable in a planted tank except in certain extreme circumstances. It will generally buffer the water up to around 8.3ish pH. You can grow plants in it, but there will likely be problems.

Back
Top Bottom