Are all diffusers/drop checkers created equal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently picked up a pressurized co2 system from IAmACoolGuy for my planted nano. I still need to purchase a diffuser and drop checker. Ceramic diffusers are my only viable option for my tank, are any of them better than the other? I see them ranging from $4-5 to around $20, yet they all look the same.

Same question with drop checkers. I would guess the drop checker with the biggest mouth would be most accurate as it can "read" the water more efficiently. Right?

Thanks in advance

Jesse

Buy the most espensive one i bought a up aqua nano diffusser annthe bubbles look like a bubbler not small micro bubbles

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Is the diffuser going to be fed into the intake of a filter or will it be in "open water"? Reason I ask is because I had the same question. I've used a Fluval and a generic glass/ceramic model and both have fine but not very fine bubbles. It is situated below an HOB filter intake. At that point I did not think bubble size did not matter as good amount of the bubbles would be trapped in the filter floss. I am toying with the idea of getting a higher end diffuser from GLA or up Aqua.
Regarding the the drop checker, IMO the mouth size will not really affect accuracy but more so the time it takes to reflect the true amount of CO2 present. Big mouth = faster color change.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Is the diffuser going to be fed into the intake of a filter or will it be in "open water"? Reason I ask is because I had the same question. I've used a Fluval and a generic glass/ceramic model and both have fine but not very fine bubbles. It is situated below an HOB filter intake. At that point I did not think bubble size did not matter as good amount of the bubbles would be trapped in the filter floss. I am toying with the idea of getting a higher end diffuser from GLA or up Aqua.
Regarding the the drop checker, IMO the mouth size will not really affect accuracy but more so the time it takes to reflect the true amount of CO2 present. Big mouth = faster color change.
Thanks Fresh. My tank is an all in one unit with built in filtration, so a free standing "open water" type diffuser is really my only option. Water output is similar of that being propelled from a sump return nozzle, and the intake is weird as well lol

lol I am pretty sure someone stole my name:(

IAmACoolGuy is a long time member. Great guy.

Jesse

In this case, as kingkoopa suggested, a nice diffuser that produces a very fine mist would probably best.

Back
Top Bottom