Are 'complete' pressurized CO2 kits good enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurotik

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been searching around on various sites for prices on pressurized CO2 setups as I would like to upgrade to one later this summer, and I noticed aquariumplants.com has a "complete" system that comes with a regulator, milwaukee controller, a reactor 200 w/ rio pump, tubing, calibration solution, etc. Basically everything but the CO2 tank itself, which I already have anyway.

Here's a link to the kit: COMPLETE ULTIMATE Co2 SYSTEM (best of the best)($500+ VALUE ! )

I've just been wondering how good a setup like that would be in comparison to going and buying each different part on my own and putting it all together myself. I'm not -too- concerned about the difference in cost, I guess I'd just feel better knowing that I'm getting everything I need all at once without any questions, rather than ordering everything seperately and realizing I got the wrong thing or forgot something or whatever.

Lastly, when you go to add that item to your shopping cart on their site, it asks you to choose a size for your hose fittings (1", 1/2", 3/4", or 5/8") -- maybe a stupid question, but what is the significance in the size of hose fitting you choose when ordering that kit? I would imagine that it would work regardless of what size you choose, since they are providing you with all of the stuff that you need, and I doubt they would make their system incompatible if you choose the wrong hose fitting size or something.

Still new to the whole pressurized CO2 stuff, so any info is always appreciated, thanks!

If you want to go all in one this is will be pretty much all you need. You don't necessarily need all of this stuff, but if you want it all it seems like a good deal.
Many people don't have a pH controller. They just put the CO2 solenoid on a timer to coincide with the lights. I've used a pH controller in the past and it worked well. Once you figure out a good bubble flow rate to get the CO2 levels you want a pH controller isn't needed but it wont hurt things either.
Don't know much about the specific reactor, but you'll definitely want some sort of reactor. A lot of people do DIY ones hooked up to canister filters. Either way will work.
I think the hose size corresponds to the filter or pump you have. The reactor has to have flow through it to help dissolve the CO2. I'd email or call to find out for sure though.

good enough? yes. over priced? yes.

it might be a little more work but you can put one together on your own a lot cheaper.

IMO the controller is unneccessary, and will cause you more concerns and cost over time.

You can buy a milwaukee reg/solenoid/needle valve/bubble counter on ebay for < $100. Then, all you need is tubing and a diffuser since you have a tank already.

also you can find a co2 tank local for 50-60 or even less since you went on that subject. for my co2 set up i figure the less things between the co2 and the water the less for things to go wrong.

if you want to spend a lot. i think that the dr fosters smith setup is nicer

IMO the controller is unneccessary, and will cause you more concerns and cost over time.

You can buy a milwaukee reg/solenoid/needle valve/bubble counter on ebay for < $100. Then, all you need is tubing and a diffuser since you have a tank already.

I agree with Neilan. You don't need a pH controller....that is more like a luxury, but like he said, can cause you more concerns. The Milwaukee brand regulator is a good one from what I've heard and usually the auctions on ebay come with tubing....for less than $100 shipped. There are several diffusion methods to choose from that aren't that expensive and are effective.

IMO the Drs Foster and Smith package has some unnecessary parts as well.....so you pay for things you don't need.

i gave up on getting a complete system. i'm gonna build a pressurized system

Thanks for the info everyone. So what all parts to I absolutely -have- to have to get a pressurized system up and running and working effectively for my 55 gallon tank? Also, what are considered the 'best' or 'recommended' for each part (i.e. I've read most places that for regulators Milwaukee is the best -- what about everything else?). Lastly, what are some different diffusion methods that don't require any crazy work to set up? I'm basically looking for a pretty simple and straight forward list and explanation of everything that a 'beginner' in pressurized CO2 can easily understand, put together, and get running. I suppose that's why the all-in-one kits seemed so appealing to me, regardless of their price or whether they had any added fluff that wasn't really needed.

Here's the list I have as of now:
Regulator (Milwakuee All-in-one is the way to go I guess?)
Reactor (which one(s) is/are the best here?)
Tubing (what kind? some say silicon, others say some other types)
CO2 tank (5 or 10 pound I'd guess would be good?)
Some sort of diffusion method (some easy suggestions please)
Do I need some sort of pump as well to hook up to the reactor?

What else besides the above list? Thanks!

milwaukee is far from the best but is cheap and works.

regulator with needle valve tubing and a way to diffuse the co2 and co2 tank.

needle valves there are some that work fine for $15 and others that cost 50-60 again it depends on what you want.

most regulators out there will come with a needle valve and solenoid.
silicon leaks out a lot of co2 and will break down over time. i use a pvc tubing that lets out a minimal amount of co2. co2 tank you can find local. there are different options some you can rent them by paying a deposit and then swap them. once you are done or no longer need the tank you can take it back for your deposit fee. others sell the tank.

reactor is a way to diffuse co2. there are countless ways to do this. some people use glass diffusers others filter intake reactors power heads. just depends on what you want to do.

The best tubing for CO2 IMO is the thick (probably vinyl) tubing. You'll see it called co2 resistant tubing at alot of places on the internet. Its super thick and you do not lost much co2 at all. The regular vinyl tubing and the silicone tubing will lose some co2.

One thing about the thick stuff is that its hard to put glass diffusers on the end of it so in that case I have used vinyl tubing from the check valve to the diffuser. Otherwise its thick tubing everywhere. :)

Alot of people use the vinyl stuff with no problems though...but I like to save as much co2 as I can...haha.

Thanks for the info about the tubing. I've been waiting and hoping for a response, just been busy with a new job I'm starting this week so I haven't had time to bump it myself.

Back
Top Bottom