Are dirted tanks worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've heard that dirt is great for growing plants but is it worth it? It seems very messy and easy to dirty the water if you want to move plants or objects around. Also, how much better is it at growing plants than Eco complete sand? (Btw, I mean mineralized top soil). Thanks!

I use mineralized topsoil mixed with red clay (For Iron) capped with 2 inches of black eco complete and really have enjoyed the results. I was unsure about it at first as eel but now Im glad I did it. Be prepared for some clouding for a few days after filling the tank. I used fox farm ocean forest soil. Great stuff loaded with nutrients, Really gives your tank a boost at the start. Also when you dirt there will be a flood of nutrients in the first couple of weeks so make sure the tank is fully planted with nutrient hogs when you start off or get ready for an algae explosion. I hope this helps! (y)

Thanks! How difficult do you find it to rearrange plants? Is it messy? I'm worried because I like to frequently move around plants and stuff over time.

Following. I've stayed away from soil for the reasons and questions you've presented. I've gone the EcoComplete route but still curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! How difficult do you find it to rearrange plants? Is it messy? I'm worried because I like to frequently move around plants and stuff over time.

The way I do it is simply pull as lightly as possible on the stems and they come out without much disturbance of the lower dirt bed. It really isn't messy it settles in and the addition of the red clay aids in ridding the dirt of its buoyancy. There really is a tangible difference in plant health of heavy root feeders like my apontogens, ruffled swords and crypts. I would highly recommend doing it and coming from someone who was equally intimidated at the thought of a dieted tank, don't be. The horror stories that people tell about dirtied substrates are 90% of the time due to their own lack of planning.

This was the article that I used as my guide:
http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/mineralized-soil-substrate/

The way I do it is simply pull as lightly as possible on the stems and they come out without much disturbance of the lower dirt bed. It really isn't messy it settles in and the addition of the red clay aids in ridding the dirt of its buoyancy. There really is a tangible difference in plant health of heavy root feeders like my apontogens, ruffled swords and crypts. I would highly recommend doing it and coming from someone who was equally intimidated at the thought of a dieted tank, don't be. The horror stories that people tell about dirtied substrates are 90% of the time due to their own lack of planning.

This was the article that I used as my guide:
http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/mineralized-soil-substrate/

+1 to this entire post..

20L Mafia...

I used soil and decided that i didnt like it at all. I had just as much success with plants when i had straight sand substrate.

For me, adding soil has really helped my tank expecially the crypts. It didn't make a mess in my tank but I rinsed the soil before. I don't rearrange the plants much but the one time I did the soil that was disturbed clouded up the water for about a day.

Back
Top Bottom