Are my lights really ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 4 x 65w PC over my 90 gal.

I have been told by someone now that all 4 bulbs being 10,000k is not good for plant growth...

They suggested switching 2 out for 6700's

Any comments on this? Why would all 10 K not be good? Or is it just that with both I would get "better" growth?

I used to have 10k bulbs and for one, you will not need to have your room lights on, they are that bright. :) Actually, 6700's are a bit better to replicate actual sunlight and has more red/yellow texture than the 10k.

You will have approximately 3wpg, which is the threshold for injecting CO2. Not too shabby.

Yeah I have CO2 injection and am still balancing out the ferts (EI) SO far so good. :)

They are quite bright. It is a noticable difference when the lights go off...lol.

I was just hoping that I would not have to go out and get more bulbs considering I have 4 of those plus two spares in the cabinet incase one goes out. :)

Those bulbs should be just fine for plant growth. Only reason to swap out a pair for 6700K would be to adjust the color for your eyes.

Mixing bulbs is good for the plants and for your eyes, but its not like you can't have nice growth with all one temp. When you replace them (~yearly) then you might want to mix temps. I like mixing 6500 or 6700 with 10000. :)

Well I feel better now. :) I do have two brand new actinic bulbs that are useless to me. Perhaps I will see if anyone wants to trade for shipping. :)

Back
Top Bottom