Are the Blue LEDs useful to plants ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcutl002

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20" Finnex Fugeray Planted+ on a 10 gallon betta tank. It has white, red, and blue LEDs. I am no light spectrum expert, but I am pretty sure the red LEDs are useful to plants. But, what about blue? Do the plants use blue? I have an amazon sword and some small cryptocornes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the blues on mine, makes everything look better imo. . I don't think there are any negatives in doing so. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plants absorb reds, yellows, and blues. so yes, they will help your plants.

Ok. Roger that. I'll run them all. I just received the fixture from Amazon today. I must say: I am impressed with this light !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is quite impressive for the price tag, mine is doing some serious work..

Blue will stimulate more stem and leaf growth whereas the red in combination with the blue will help more with the flowering.

Red light is used for things like seed germination, bulb formatiom, root development and then the flowering. Red light alone or to much will cause plants to be very skinny and weak. Blue light promotes the production of Cholorphyll which allows plants to convert that light to energy growing thick stems and nice green leaves. My brother and I have been looking into making our own LED's and been trying to figure out the right combination of red/white/blue. Been checking out Cree and a couple others for some RGB and colored diodes to see which way to go.

I also run the blue along with the others. This is really an impressive light. Even on my 24" tall tank, I am getting great growth out of my plants!

I also run the blue along with the others. This is really an impressive light. Even on my 24" tall tank, I am getting great growth out of my plants!
OK, cool. My 10 gallon is only 12 inches deep, but the sand is 3 inches. So I am looking at like 9 inches. I should have plenty of PAR. The light looks GREAT! I really like this light. I ordered some dwarf hairgrass so I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
I got the 24" Planted+ back in November and am very happy with it. Very bright, good color, good price! Only complaint is I wish they had run the blue lights on a separate power cord so you could have the whites/reds on one timer, and the blues on another timer. With only a single power cable, if you want to turn the blues on at night you have to turn your timer off, turn the blues on and the whites/reds off, then remember to switch everything back in the morning.

Good point baddog, it's really the only short coming though..

Good point baddog, it's really the only short coming though..

I know, and you can't beat the price since the 24" on Amazon is currently under 72$. I think it was closer to 85$ when I bought it.

However, an additional power cable couldn't be but a few more dollars. Add that and 2 separate built in timers and charge 100$ :brows:

I'm currently using a 3$ timer from Walmart and it works fine

Sounds good to me... send them an email?? They can't be in different to making money??

Hmmm, I bet if I got one of those for one of my tanks, I could get my hubby to fine tune it with a second cord. He does all of our electrical work (his dad is a retired electrician)

Hmmm, I bet if I got one of those for one of my tanks, I could get my hubby to fine tune it with a second cord. He does all of our electrical work (his dad is a retired electrician)

I was thinking of doing something like that... I'm ok with standard wiring. When it comes to leds and capacitors and fine wiring I'd be more likely to destroy it rather than improve it..

I was thinking of doing something like that... I'm ok with standard wiring. When it comes to leds and capacitors and fine wiring I'd be more likely to destroy it rather than improve it..

My hubby has made me some LED night lights for some of my tanks. He's also been replacing all the lights on his trucks with them and on his motorcycle. He's got some weird project going over here beside me with LEDs too. Yeah, no idea what.

I'll have to see if he can do it though. I've been thinking about getting these for my 10 gallon tanks.

If he knows how to do the wiring than you can buy all the components needed for a super bad mamah jamah light online for a mere fraction of the cost as any of the brands we discuss here..

Back
Top Bottom