Are there any good plants for brackish/hardwater aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are there any good plants on the market for brackish/hardwater aquariums? I would like some floating and some anchored. I'm not trying to created a planted tank, just want to have some in the tank.

Also, Anubias is pretty hardy, it will live under little lighting, it needs to be secured to a rock, or some driftwood, not buried in the substrate.

When you say brackish...how much salt content are we talking about? Some folks have different definitions of brackish water (1.009-1.011 I'm thinking is about standard). The reason I ask is although there are plants that will live in hard water, I'm not sure if they will handle the salt content. Also, I'm not sure if any of the macro algaes can live in brackish/low salt water. Corvuscorax, who is our plant guy here, will probably know more about it. Would be interesting to know...
Logan J :?

Corvuscorax, who is our plant guy here, will probably know more about it.

I was afraid this would come around to me... :(

I'll check around if I have time, but all of my plants are from pure fresh water.

Nothing like having that big old spotlight right on you is there :lol: ? I'll try to check about it also today. I'm thinking that the salt content will be the problem much more than the hardness of the water.
Logan J

As far as s.g. goes, I'm not really sure. I've kept reef tanks for the last 7 years. With saltwater tanks, salinity is very important and precise. All you ever read with FW tanks is "1 teaspoon per gallon" or "1 teaspoon for every 1-2 gallons". This type of measurement is really pretty meaningless when it comes to salinity measurements. You wouldn't even get the same readings if you used exactly the same amounts of different brands of salts.

Anyway, my plan is to keep 3-4 Belonesox (pike livebearers), which from what I've read, can live in everything from FW to water that has 40 ppt salinity, which is higher than the salinity on coral reefs (usually around 35 ppt). Obviously, I'll keep the salinity somewhere between these two extremes. I figure I'll try to keep s.g. around 1.008 - 1.010 (assuming a temp of around 80 deg F). Other inhabitants will likely be mollies, guppies (these might have to live in the sump) and some scavengers - possibly loaches or catfish, as well as some sort of algae eaters like plecos.

Regarding lighting, I plan to have a 96w white PC and a 40w actinic over a standard 75 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom