are there fake dwarf hairgrasses or just different condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
because on aquabid or ebay thers aclaris and parvula. both look bad and unlike amano's. are they the same or a fake species?

Those are just two of the many varieties of hairgrass out there. If you go to www.tropica.com you'll find them both listed under Eleocharis acicularis and Eleocharis parvula. I'm not sure what Amano uses but I know there are quite few variants.

Eleocharis_parvula_1.jpg

see thats the one i want

liveplantsr1107208896.jpg

and thats the one i dont want, both are under parvula, but one looks totally different. is it bad tank conditions there or is it like... a totally different plant

The hairgrass I've kept looks very similar to the stuff in the second pic. I can't tell you what type is shown in the first pic, but I agree, it's very cool stuff. Hopefully someone will be able ID it.

The first picture looks like it has some color adjustments but looks like E. parvula to me, just more established. The second picture looks like it has dead emersed growth so it's not exactly what it looks like.

Here's a pic of the hairgrass that I've kept before. I couldn't say whether it was E. acicularis or E. parvula but it was pretty hardy under good light, even without CO2.

hairgrass.jpg

Oh, yeah, back on topic, The last picture has emersed growth also (see the tips? They look like "pine cones") Alot of how hairgrass looks in your tank has to do with lighting/substrate/fertilization/etc./etc. As best I can recall, amano lists his shorter hairgrass as E. acicularis. However, you may want to note that there are often different heights in his tanks. E. Acicularis can reach 8"+ and must be trimmed to keep it low. E. parvula is a tad shorter averaging 4". Again how it looks in your tank depends on a lot of factors.

so... if i get those i should trim them and put them in my tank and it'll look better right?

If growing conditions are adequate, once the plants get established they will look better/fuller than this picture.
liveplantsr1107208896.jpg

I've tried trimming hairgrass down to 1/2" or so before planting and also just planting them and trimming them after they established themselves. I recommend planting them and then trimming them, allowing a few weeks between planting and trimming so they become established. Otherwise they seem to uproot fairly easy.

travis simonson said:
Lesson well learned. And you have nothing to contribute :p Listen closely to Mr. Wallaces's advice people :wink:
That still brings a smile to my face. "Mr. Wallace" :D Travis, you know way more about planted tanks than me and you have an incredible gift for aquascaping. I should be calling you "Mr. Simonson" :wink:

I agree completely. Hairgrass takes very well to trimming IME. In fact, topping it will encourage lateral spread if you're looking for a lawn-type effect. Just don't let your African cichlids start munching on it or they will think it has been put into the tank for food :p I have never cut my hairgrass so low that it didn't just come back right up so don't worry about cutting it too short, although I'm sure there is some sort of limt :wink:

And thanks for the compliments "Mr. Wallace" but I suspect you are just being modest. Any APC graduate is someone whose advice should be listened to closely.

Back
Top Bottom