Are these plants gonna make it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have several anubias and java ferns, some of which don't look so good. I bought them just the way they look now a little over a week ago. Water parameters are Ammonia just under .25, nitrite 0 nitrate just barely registering anything. Doing a fish in cycle, but I used tetra safestart which uses the bio-spira. Anyway, I use stock lighting. When I bought these plants I was told by the mom and pop shop owner that the brown spots and holes would grow out. Any pointers and tips to help them would be appreciated. Apologies for picture quality. The water is actually much clearer than appears in the photos.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/pooltech38/2013-01-28_13-58-24_745.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/pooltech38/2013-01-28_20-12-39_278.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/pooltech38/2013-01-28_20-12-53_531.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q527/pooltech38/2013-01-28_20-13-11_971.jpg

I have several anubias and java ferns, some of which don't look so good. I bought them just the way they look now a little over a week ago. Water parameters are Ammonia just under .25, nitrite 0 nitrate just barely registering anything. Doing a fish in cycle, but I used tetra safestart which uses the bio-spira. Anyway, I use stock lighting. When I bought these plants I was told by the mom and pop shop owner that the brown spots and holes would grow out. Any pointers and tips to help them would be appreciated. Apologies for picture quality. The water is actually much clearer than appears in the photos.

img_2311772_0_fb7145d9ff0042d52a48566eeeb613ab.jpg

img_2311772_1_12aa85bf5b3fa13bd2a40ebc7573f085.jpg

img_2311772_2_fb21ea72966f7c430bc88e1b3d8ddf38.jpg

img_2311772_3_bec15c26e740aab266d40ea6d0228a56.jpg

I would trim off the dead looking leaves, especially on the third picture, that way the plant doesn't use energy to try and repair them. It will also encourage new growth.

Do you dose any ferts or co2?

I would trim off the dead looking leaves, especially on the third picture, that way the plant doesn't use energy to try and repair them. It will also encourage new growth.

Do you dose any ferts or co2?

I do not dose with ferts or c02.

Thats more than likely your probelem. You have to have some sort of ferts for plants.

It was my understanding that low tech plants such as what I have were able to pull nutrients from the water that is put off by the waste of the fish etc??

Disregard this ^

I actually meant to post this link for you! Sorry!

So You Want a Planted Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I have actually read that. That is why I have gone with low tech plants that do not need much light and do not need co2. I guess i do need to start dosing liquid ferts though. I do not have any substrate plants yet. When i do i plan to use root tabs.

This is an excerpt from that article
"Here is the good news for those of you that have decided to stick to a Low Light aquarium. You may not have to worry about dosing any fertilizers at all. The majority of the trace nutrients your plants need are already available in your tap water. Your fish will provide the Nitrates and their fish food will supply the Phosphates"

I have actually read that. That is why I have gone with low tech plants that do not need much light and do not need co2. I guess i do need to start dosing liquid ferts though. I do not have any substrate plants yet. When i do i plan to use root tabs.

"Here is the good news for those of you that have decided to stick to a Low Light aquarium. You may not have to worry about dosing any fertilizers at all. The majority of the trace nutrients your plants need are already available in your tap water. Your fish will provide the Nitrates and their fish food will supply the Phosphates"

Depending on how much money you want to spend, API leaf zone is a pretty cheap liquid fert. It sold for about $4 at my LFS. If you want to spend more money check into seachem's ferts. Also if you get any swords or crypts you will need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders.

According to that excerpt, if you wanted you could see how your plants do, but I'd you begin to see yellowing or brown spots I would look into some sort of ferts.

Back
Top Bottom