As simple as more plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have everything where it should be and still have an algae problem. The only thing I can think of is that I don't have enough plants. The tanks are sparsely plants so the question is should adding more plants make that much of a difference?

If so, what stem plants are fast growers? I have Hygro Rosenervig, Rotala Rotundifolia, Crypt Becketti, and HC in one tank and 1 Red Melon sword (which I am thinking about getting rid of), 5 Red Wendtii and 5ish java fern which is getting pretty big, growing better than my sword but not faster. My HC is about to become my ground cover once I get my Rockwool and get it to start growing.

Thanks ahead of time for your generous suggesitons. ;)

The tank may just need some more time to balance, but not having enough plants is a strong possibility. How confident are you in your test kit accuracy? That is all I can think of.

You can never have enough plants... :)

Is Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) a stem plant? Its a VERY fast grower in my tanks.

I'm pretty sure that Aponogeton aren't stem plants, but they are VERY fast growers from "dry" bulbs (bought at PetCo) in my tanks, too.

High plant mass makes everything in this hobby easier, and every modern doasing method assumes high plant mass. I think your adding more plants is crtical in solving problems.

H. polysperma and R. rotundifolia are fast growers.

How about EI?

add:
A lot of plants
10ppm NO3 from KNO3 3*wk
1.5ppm PO4 from KH2PO4 3*wk
.2ppm Fe from CSM+B 3*wk (opposite days from above)
50% water change weekly
Crank CO2

Try it for a couple weeks and see how it gets easier. Then maximizing plant health is just a matter of adjusting these levels for your specific tank and plants.

HTH

I have been thinking about EI more and more. The only thing is what do I do to reset my tanks? 50% water change once, a couple times or more?

I have tested my test kits and they all come out accurate within 5% or so. Nitrates tested at 10ppm and the actual test showed just over, color was a little darker. Then again I am measuring with teaspoons and not scales. PO4 right on, don't know how to test pH, GH or KH kit.

CO2 is as high as I can get it without adding a bunch of junk to my 10 gallon tanks and take up room for plants. Is usually 50+ppm. That and I need the money to buy more plants!. lol

I've been following your posts and threads for a while, so please excuse the length of this post, but I have a few pennies of thought.
The only thing is what do I do to reset my tanks? 50% water change once, a couple times or more?
50% water change before starting EI. 50% water change at the end of every week. Later it's easy to adapt the water change schedule, but it's so easy to change water in a 10gallon there's no reason not to.
don't know how to test pH, GH or KH kit.
You could calibrate the pH test with a solution of known acidity (like how those with pH controllers calibrate), and you could do the same with KH and GH by reconstituting RO/DI with the calcs in the fertilization sticky. However, better to save your time since the KH/pH chart often breaks anyway.

And this is the basic concept, in my mind, of EI: its easy enough to eliminate light by using a lot of watts. Its easy to cover nutrients with the dosing above. All thats left is CO2, and our indicator can be as simple as, "There's algae: I must need more CO2." It makes everything simpler.

FWIW, here's what I've learned from keeping small tanks. I think of hobbies and most things in terms of learning curves and saftey nets, and the best way to make this hobby easier while learning high-light, in my opinion, are:

1) Water changes (since they're so easy in small tanks)
2) CO2
3) Lots of plants
4) Run nutrients relatively rich to start: crash N and do advanced/intermediate stuff after you've already beaten algae.

In other words, essentially EI.

Just try it for two weeks. Suggest you read the Estimative Index articles a few times during those couple of weeks. Nothing to lose, and I'll bet you plants it makes the hobby easier long term :)

Good luck.

I will try it. Can't hurt anything. I need some more plants first but that shouldn't be hard. My LFS at least has some that will get me started toward a heavy planted tank. That and after I get my tabs it should be a breeze to get growth ready for the EI change.

I have read the report a couple times and again after each time some explains a little more of it. A lot of assumptions but if it works so well then I can deal with that. Sooner or later I hope to understand most of it.

If it works, I will send trimming of whatever I can get to outgrow my tank. Want to start with a Red Melon Sword. ;)

All I know is I hate algae and it makes a planted tank look really bad. I will try EI because I hate it so much and it all sounds like it works so well, that and your tanks look so good. That and I am no chemist nor botanist so I have to go with those that know.

What Cz is saying is right on the money. That is pretty much a recipe for growing an awsome algae free tank at that size.

Back
Top Bottom