Attaching plants to driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxom_Ruatha

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I recall this being discussed before, unfortuantely I can not locate the thread. So what is the best type of string used to tie a java fern, and java fern to a piece of driftwood? If I remember correctly I think someone recommended black yarn since it would disentigrate or something? Any confirmations or other reccomendations?

You can just use fishing line or string then just remove it after the plant gets attached.

Some people like to use 100% cotton thread because it will decompose over time. Read the spool label because most threads sold today are a cotton/polyester blend. Nylon fishing line will work too.

staples work well too, if the wood is already water-logged and soft...a normal stapler will push staples right in.
I wouldn't worry about the small amount of exposed metal.

With cotton thread try to go with a darker color that will blend in and it many times is not even noticeable

I would say go with the fishing line. I went the thread route and it disintegrated far too quickly.

I always use plastic coated twist ties. You know, the kind that come with garbage bags? I buy a long roll of them down at the hardware store. You can get something like 15' for $2.00.

I like the twist ties more than the thread or fishing line because I am always afraid the thread or fishing line will cut through the fleshy rhizomes of the Java fern. The twist ties are thicker, so there is no chance of that.

Rubber bands would work, but the rubber bands could disintegrate before the plant takes hold of the wood. They can also be tough to work with.

I don't care for fishing line, for 2 reasons. First, I agree with Momotaro, if you tie fishing line tight, it could cut or damage a rhizome. Second, I used it a few times and in trying not to tie it tight and damage the plant, I ended up with a few loops around the plant and wood with significant gaps. Within a couple of days one of my Cory catfish got caught in one of the loops of fishing line and died. If you do use fishing line, be careful to tie it properly. Maybe I'm just a lousy tie-er, I dunnow.
For me, thread is much easier to work with. I get the proper tightness with it, no damage to plants or fish getting caught like the fishin line.

The idea of the twist ties sounds good, never tried it myself though.

twist ties have metal in them, idk what kinda but i wouldnt want to put staples or twist ties even if they're plastic coated

Idea: the plastic ties that come w/ trash bags! They're not quite as adjustable as twist ties are, but they're metal-free. :wink:

I have a piece of African root wood. It's all gnarly on the top, so I tied fishing line (I got some fancy stuff designed to be invisible under water) around the wood about every three inches, with the knots on the bottom. Fishing line has a bit of elasticity to it, so I can pull it out a bit and slide a leaf under it. The gnarly wood leaves plenty of gaps for future plantlets.

twist ties have metal in them

I have never encountered a problem because of the plastic coated metal. Heck, I have never seen any evidence of the metal rusting either.

Besides, the ties are only a temporary measure. The intention is to remove whatever is holding the Java fern down to the wood off once the Java fern take hold.

What about attaching live plants to a slate stucture? They don't have the texture that driftwood does. . . I could make sure there are cracks n crevices for the plant to grab onto while constructing my slate cave - would that work?

Back
Top Bottom