attaching vs. non-attaching moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Among the major players in aquarium mosses, which ones are non-attaching? I know java moss attaches--and boy does it ever!--but about two years ago I got some moss from someone who said it was peacock moss. And though it has grown in my tank beautifully, and is lush, green, expanding, you name it...it has not attached to any of the driftwood it has been on. I mean, not attached AT ALL. After almost 2 years, and this is in 2 separate tanks, tied down to different types of wood. No attachment at all. I always thought that all aquatic mosses would attach to driftwood if you gave them a little time, but obviously I was wrong.

So among the mosses I've tried, I've discovered:

ATTACHING - java, fissidens
NONATTACHING - peacock (if that is indeed what I have)

I'm curious about other (relatively) common mosses in the trade, especially Christmas, Taiwan, Flame, Pellia, and Weeping/Willow moss. Anyone have any experience with any of those? Or how about Marimo balls, I have heard you can split them and wrap them around a small piece of driftwood, do those eventually attach under those circumstances?

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom