attatching plants to driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Several ways. Thread is one way. If you get a color that blends in with the plant and driftwood, you wont see it. By the time the thread rots, the plant should have attached itself. Fishing line is another way. I think it takes several hundred years to completely rot, but it's easily cut and removed once the plant has taken hold of the wood. I've actually used zip ties once to attach java fern to a piece of driftwood. I just went back and clipped it off with scissors after a month and a half or so. I can't say that I'd recommend it though, as it is an eye sore if you don't hide it just right.

I use superglue on my java ferns. Use it sparingly and be careful not to cover the entire rhizome with the glue. I think it would work for anubias too. I've used the thread and fishing line methods also.

My son thought it was the funniest thing when I was trying to tie a java fern to a piece of driftwood with fishing line. I had it zip tied on but it bothered me to see the ties. I was having a hard time feeding the fishing line through to tie it. I don't have the smallest hands. After I tied one end I told him it was his turn. Wasn't quite so funny then.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Thank you for the advice. I have a nice piece of driftwood, now I just need to get plants for it. I think I'll try the thread or fishing line first.

New to planted aquascaping here...however I used elastic bands for my Java Fern and for the Java moss I just pushed it underbeah the some of my driftwood, really tight and compact...maybe a rookie mistake but so far so good :)

I use the fishing line method personally. Get really light weight line. I use 4 pound test line personally, but that is just because that is what I have from trout fishing.

Fishing line all the way lasts forever or at least it does not rot like thread clear stuff cannot be seen in water I use it in my tanganyikan and amazon setups works a treat :)

Back
Top Bottom