Avoiding fishs from eating plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a way to avoid your real plants from beeing eaten by the fishs ? My LFS (more a local pet shop) told me that Spirulina would give the fishs enough of what they are seeking in plant ( cant remember what ) thus preventing the fish from eating them.

I have never had a problem with my fish eating my plants, sometimes they are a little rough eating the algae and tear up some leaves but i don't think they are intending on eating the plants

It all comes down to species. Most species of fish will leave your plants alone, but there are those that love to snack on them. What kind of fish do you want to get? Someone could probably let you know whether or not you'll have an issue.

I currently have Gouramis Cobalt and kissing plus a Clown loach which wont touch my plant i`m sure. But i saw my gouramis give a beating to my plant quite fast. I plant to buy other kind of gouramis and probably fishs like neons.

My dwarf powder blue gourami loves chowing on my plants. Especially the soft crypts, he leaves the anubias and java fern/moss alone.

Yep they love soft plants ( both of my blue powder gouramis (cobalt)). I have a big plant with big hard leaves that they are not eating though i could'nt tell the kind of plant but they are not eating it.

the clown loaches will uproot just about anything in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom