Azolla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone used Azolla in their aquarium? What are the pros and cons in using this floating plant? How quickly does it grow and is it easy to grow?
:thanks:

Azolla

Apparently it needs medium light and enough nutrients, but if those are met, it's not hard. It looks like it has the same uses as other floating plants--place for fish to hang out and hide in--without the added plus to being a nutrient sink like fast growing floaters have. But it looks nice. I'd say go for it if you have the light for it.

Is the Azolla a Nitrate consumer! Will it clog up. My tank has a overflow weir gate at the top of the tank which feeds my filters.

It'll consume nitrates, just not as fast as other floating plants if I've read the specs right, simply because it doesn't grow as fast. As for clogging up the overflow, if it's the set up I think it is, any floating plant might. That can be solved by setting up some kind of blockade to keep it away from your overflow if you wanted to--net, little bit of plastic.

Thanks, my tank is acrylic with acrylic top with an opening for a 24" light that rests in that opening. So maybe floating plants is not a good idea. Probably couldn"t view them very much with this arrangement!

Back
Top Bottom