baby tears-riccia-dwarf clover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
LFS has Riccia and babytears on driftwood. Few questions
I want to reduce cost and buy baby tears in a pot and attach it to my own driftwood--(save $15) Question--how do you get babytears to stay on driftwood?
Question 2-Which is better to try and make a foreground carpet--dwarf clover or high clover? I understand you need to have patience and wait untill the emersed leaves die off and runners start to grow.

Question 3-( 3 for a buck!)
LFS also has riccia on driftwood--nice 4x4" patch. Will it survive with my tank set up
55gal
greg watson ferts
injected co2-with Red Sea reactor 500 diffuser
2x65w coralife (light has another 2x65 which I never put on. ) (overbought)
Rena XP3 filter

Thanks and Happy Easter!
Cliff

1) You could use fishing twine

2) dwarf clover or high clover??? not sure of the plant you are speaking of...maybe glossostigma?

3) with 260 watts, pressurized CO2 & proper ferts on a 55...you should be able to grow anything.

Mike,
I never turned on all 4 bulbs! I just do 2x65watt.

Not Glosso---4 leaf clover or dwarf clover

Both clovers can make an excellant ground cover. The dwarf clover (marsilea minuta) requires less light and and has smaller leaves, while the four leaf clover (marsilea quadrifolia) is much easier to find. With the amount of light you've got, you should have no trouble growing either one.

Most people use fishing twine or nylon mesh to attach riccia to wood or stones. Travis wrote a how to not too long ago on how to do this. I believe it's in the aquascaping forum. With your current lighting usage, you may run into some problems keeping the Riccia alive submersed. If you do, I'd recommend trying a high noon lighting period for a few hours with all of your available light. You may also find that you don't have enough CO2 from the Red Sea kit. You'll need to check your CO2 levels to find out. Test for pH and KH and compare against one of the CO2 charts.

I've read an occational post on how to get stem plants (like Micranthemum umbrosum) to attach to driftwood. From what I've seen this is a much more involved process. You would need to make a pouch filled with substrate and attach this to the driftwood. The stem plant could then root into the pouch. I'm not aware of anyway to have it attach directly to the driftwood.

Purrbox
Thanks!!
Im actually looking into one of your inline reactors from a fellow member.

Back
Top Bottom