Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to godzilla Send a message via AIM to godzilla Send a message via MSN to godzilla Send a message via Yahoo to godzilla
Travis, I know this is an old thread, but can you tell me what the foreground plant is? I am at the point where I need to start thinking about foreground in my tank...

Thanks!

Mike

Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also find that tank extremely inspirational It's one of my favourites! There's just so much going on in there. I know that i could sit and watch that tank for ages!

Is that Brazilian pennywort on the left? I am thinking about getting some of that. Also what is that bright green spikey leaved plant in the center directly underneath the word 'after'?
I would ask more but i'd be here all night!

Satsumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Godzilla - The foreground plant is Potostemon helferi (Downoi).
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys I'm currently growing out a new aquascape so, unfortunately, the tank no longer looks quite like this. I'll post some pics when it's more developed.

MyCatsDrool - you have an open invitation to come over and lick the glass on my tank any time (watch out for the dog snot though )

LWB - I find that I have to replant the stargrass about once a month to keep it from getting out of control. The lower stems tend to get shaded by the bushy upper growth, and will then begin to rot. It doesn't help that my fish like to play around in it and often uproot it with their thrashing. I've had similar problems with Didiplis diandra. It grows decently in my hard water but I've noticed that it does much better in softer water.

godzilla - Purrbox is correct (as always ), the foreground plant you are looking at is Downoi. It is a slow grower, so it takes a long time to fill in the foreground, but once it does it is one of the most maintenance-free foregrounds you can imagine. It can go months without any trimming at all. Of course soon after this picture was taken my Mbuna decided they liked the taste of mature Downoi and ate nearly all of it

Satsumas - You are correct that is pennywort (Hydrocotyle verticellata) on the left. I think the spiky bright green plant you are looking at is stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia). It is a great looking plant but can quickly get unruly.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donk1667
nice! i just started planting with a little luck and alot of advice from all it might look a little like that lol

75 gal,planted,co2,diy defuser,gw ferts,l,223 watts of usable light 3 wpg,rena xp3 & marinebiowheel 350 "taking out biowheel" and lots of help thanks all!!!and the plants come from a MAD SCIENTIST ;]and now the fish15harliqun rasboras,7neons,8cardnails tetras,6 black skirt tetras,3flying foxes,3 algae shrimp,6zebra dannios,1rubber lip,1redtail shark[i]
donk1667 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com