Background quetion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is the background for looks or does it serve a purpose. I put a white background on my tank, taped typing paper to the back, so I could reflect more light into the tank. Thoughts?

They're not 100% required, though dark backgrounds tend to make the tank look better IMO. Some feel like they make the fish feel more secure. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but I run a black or blue solid background (painted or just taped on) on all my tanks.

I personally prefer a black background, painted wallpaper would do if you didn't want to paint the glass. black seems to make the plants look greener to. try it for yourself, paint some old wallpaper different colours and test each colour on the back of your tank.

Pete

I like black. I currently have a 6" peice of black and the rest (top) is a light green. Works ok. Backgrounds hide your wires etc.

Black is definitely the only way to go IMO. Makes all your colors pop and really make your fish stand out. For example my school of lemon tetras, with a white background their silver color would just blend in and the yellow/black details would go unnoticed. Black background makes them stand out really beautifully.

So my idea of using white as a background to reflect more light to the plants doesn't have much merit. I know a dark background would look better so tomorrow, black goes up. Probably the light at their backs might make them nervous.

Back
Top Bottom