Bacopa information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know what type it is yet because it was given to me by my LFS and is in pretty tough shape. There was no roots, only the top of the stems have leaves and it is really suffering. My guess would be Bacopa Australis but could be Moneywort. Leaves are up to 1 inch long and roundish and the stems have distinct sections in them where the leaves once grew from if that helps at all.

The questions are:
What type of root mass should I expect to get if any? Some of the plants are starting to root but it is very slow and at the bottom of the long stems.
Second, will the stems regrow leaves are should I remove the stems as close to the existing leaves a spossible?

Can you smell one of the stems? Bacopa caroliniana smells like mint. You don't even have to break a stem to smell it. The leaves are a bit thick, and they have a slight twist to them.

Bacopa monnieri (moneywort) stems are not quite as wide as the caroliniana. Moneywort's leaves look very much like a terrestrial jade plant. These leaves are also rather thick.

Bacopa australis is the fastest-growing and the most delicate of the group. By delicate, I mean the stems are very slender and the leaves are very thin. It is a very fast grower and it seems quite hardy. It gives off lots of side shoots and white water roots, more so than the other two.

None of the Bacopas, IME, have a large root mass. I'll pull the austrails up every week to trim the bottom and replant the top. It hardly gets any roots but that doesn't stop it from getting taller!

I have read, but never tried, that you can plant a stem horizontally in the substrate and it will send up several shoots that you can then trim into separate stems.

Back
Top Bottom