Balancing light, CO2, and nutrients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripedBandit

Aquarium Advice Regular
So as I've been reading up on how to start out with live plants, I've seen a few people mention that there can be too much light, too little, etc. I just want to know what is the right amount of light, co2, and nutrients.

So here's what I'm planning(I have a 29g):
I would like to get some of the more hardy plants. I was thinking anubias, java fern, java moss, amazon swords, water sprite, and wisteria(maybe not all of them, but some combination of them).
I bought some 26w 6500K cfl's. Would one be good or should I put two? I don't want to have too much light for some of these lower light plants.
I got some Flourish Excel and Comprehensive. I will start off by only getting some of the plants that can attach to driftwood, so would these two supplements be good enough to sustain them. Once those get settled I may add some amazon swords and get some root tabs for them.

Does this sound good? Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

I would use both if they are the screw in spiral CFLs. That will provide enough light for the plants you mentioned.

Excel is a carbon supplement - it needs to be used daily to be effective as it disassociates quickly once added to the tank.

Comprehensive is a trace mix with some N and K supplementation. If used as directed it will benefit your plants though go easy on it - none of those plants are particularly fast growing or nutrient-demanding.

I've read that java moss can grow out of control. With that much light would I be better off going with a different type if moss? Or would I just be able to trim it every now and then?

It is easy to control. Weekly or even biweekly trimming will keep in check with no problem. I would not call 2 spiral cfls over a 29 a lot of light. It is low light. 29's are pretty deep tanks.

Back
Top Bottom