Bamboo shrimp in 29gal community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrewQ522

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently cycling a 29 gallon now with some plants in it. Going to add more plants on pay day lol and hopefully it's cycled so that I can add fish too. I plan on adding 12 Harlequin Rasboras and 2-3 GBR's. My girlfriend really liked the bamboo shrimp when she saw them at the LFS and she wants them for this tank badly. Will they work with this setup? And if so, how many? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bamboo shrimp are filter shrimp, which means that they don't have real claws to pick food up and eat it. They filter food out of the water column with their "fans", which replace their claws that most shrimp have. That being said, there have to be lots of microorganisms in the water for them to feed on and filter out of the water. There has to be a lot of flow going around the tank for them, so you would need 2-3 powerhead to ensure there are no "deadzones" throughout the tank (places where there is no flow) These organisms are mostly only present in an established tank, 6+ months old. I wouldn't put them in your tank, at least not right now, but there are some other substitutes for them. You could try amano shrimp, which stay smaller (females 2", males 1-1.5") and they don't have so many requirements.

Also be warned that when getting GBR's, especially 3 in a 29. I would stay with a pair for this tank, or you will probably end up with a bullied individual when 2 pair up. If a pair, they will lay eggs and become very territorial. I think your stock list sounds fine, good luck!

Ok thank you. I'll stick to two GBR's. And ok on the flower shrimp because I am running a submersible sponge filter for 45 gallons. We have Amano and RCS and Malayan shrimp in our 37 gallon and ghost shrimp in our 10 gallon. So I'll have to make her pick from those

Sounds good. Those Malayans look good! Just a word of caution, the GBR are opportunistic feeders and will at RCS or smaller shrimp if they get the chance. Your plan sounds good though! (y)

Hm, so maybe shrimp aren't the best idea? Or should I try to stick with Amano shrimp since they are a bit bigger? Definitely going to add 2-3 nerites too. I wish I could add more Harley's but I don't wanna push the stocking limit lol

Ok cool. Amanos it is

More plants! Still cycling. We can't wait to add fish lol
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450643200.248037.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450643215.623536.jpg

Flowers are pretty big. An inch bigger than amanos. I put flowers in my tank fairly early although i had seeded media from an established tank. They DID scavenge (which is a sign of lack of food in the water column/mild starvation) but as soon as id crush up fish flake super fine and sprinkle it infront of the flow they would start to filterfeed. What was said is true. It would be wise to wait on the flowershrimp. But you dont have to. Just take necessary precautions in making sure theyre fed. I ran mine in a 29gal with a 30-60 HOB and the odyssea ex-350 powerhead with a filter floss around the intake on the powerhead. When the floss got gunky if agitate the floss, cloud the sh*t out of my water and my flower shrimp LOVED it. They fed perfectly fine.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Oh and i had two angels in my tank that left my flowers alone. Given i was in the higher category of moderately planted. Id say angels are more predatory than GBR's. So i think youd be safe with GBR's 100%

Oh and i had two angels in my tank that left my flowers alone. Given i was in the higher category of moderately planted. Id say angels are more predatory than GBR's. So i think youd be safe with GBR's 100%

Wow thanks for all the help on the shrimp that's a lot of great information. I'm gonna wait a while and see if some media gets built up on that sponge and then maybe I will get them down the road. My LFS had some tiger shrimp I got 3 of those for the 37 gallon lol. I love having all different species. And thanks on the plants. I just put the purple cabomba and the crypt in today

Back
Top Bottom