Banana plants looking okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesktopTankDiva

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I purchased two banana plants, they both had prolific banana-looking roots and a few small leaves. When I put them in my tank the leaves seemed to brown a bit and shrivel, and on one plant the banana roots appeared more brown than green, so I thought the plants were dying.

Last week I was digging around trying to rid my aquarium of some blasted unwanted snails I thought didn't make it in my tank, and I noticed long stringy thread (roots?) extending from the base of the banana roots into the substrate. I also noticed new leaves appearing while the older ones receded and appeared dying; by this week the leaves look quite large and growing well.

Are my plants doing ok? I guess new leaf growth is good, but are the old leaves a lost cause? Should I pinch them off and remove them? Are they doing well enough that I would be safe buying one more since I like the uniqueness of their appearance?

As well, what are the stringy thready things? I thought the roots were the banana-looking bits. I included a pic of each plant, sorry for the glare, it was the best angle I could get.

Thanks!
DesktopD

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_043035884.jpg
    IMG_20190130_043035884.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20190130_043137635.jpg
    IMG_20190130_043137635.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom