Bare bottom tank plant info needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hedgiemom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a bare bottom tank and love the look of Val that I have seen in aquariums as a background or running across the top. Is there a Val or type or tall grass (8-10 inches) that I could use in the aquarium by placing it in a container so that it would live? If so, what type of soil,sand,etc would been needed? I have African dwarf frogs that hang out on some rock ledges and the fake plants near the top. I have Anubis’s and Java Fern Windelow, but they do not get very tall. I have tried hornwort and water sprite and they did not last long. Water sprite wilted away when it was anchored down and did not come back. The hornwort did fine, but clogged up my glass intake with the small pieces that came off. Any suggestions for plants that work well in a container and what is needed to keep them thriving would be appreciated.

The regular large hair grass is cool and wouldn't be annoying like fine leaved varieties. If you have brighter light then you might want to check it out.

I found letting the water sprite float worked better in my tanks. Then it grew like a weed.

Cryptocoryne balansae is a favorite plant which gets tall.

Also Valisneria vesuvius you can plant them in terra cotta pots (they come in the rectangle window pot shapes as well if you can find them at a nice garden center or online) or plastic pond plant pots many sizes.

If you have lower light you might try
Bolbitis heudelotii
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolbitis_heudelotii

It can get going and grow good sized leaves. Probably 8-10 inches. You can use it similarly like Anubias across rocks or DW.

There are pond / water garden soils which work well. I am not familiar with a specific brand. Rachel O'Leary has some videos about pond gardening and uses some in the videos on YT. She grows lots of fish in the ponds.

If it were me, I would not get any with fertilizers as they could spike ammonia/ mess up water quality. And personally would use organic in hopes of not having any weird chemicals accidentally being in there. especially if you have any inverts or sensitive fish.

I don't know about other types of Vals but I have Italian Vals and they will grow to the top of the water. Put them in a terra cotta flower pot with Miracle grow potting soil and a little gravel over the potting soil. A Jobes fertilizer stick in the potting soil and you are ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom