Basic Planted Tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have two basic questions ill ask so you can read them and move on before you get into the details if you dont care:

1)In my first planted tank, i have a lot of plant pieces floating around and it looks like some sort of mucus floating off plant leaves (and freely). Is it something i doing wrong with the floating plant debris issue like, water quality, not enough minerals, to much current, etc? I see a lot of peoples planted tanks look spotless!

Also, i know the mucus can be a bacterial bloom, from what i have seen, but I'm open to other suggestions

2)I currently have a 110 gallon planted tank with the following fish:

15 Rummy Noses
8 Oto Cats
7 Corys
5 Bleeding Hearts
3 Dojo Loaches (i know they don't go well in planted tanks i get it, but i love them and they have only dug up one plant so far)
1 Clown Pleco

2 Ghost Shrimp (Maybe, i have seen 1 in different places at different times, probably dinner though)

Is this to much for my tank? Maybe i can get more? Or should i think about moving some of the smaller guys to my 10g betta tank?

My 110:
Filter: Eheim Pro 4+ (rated for 160g)
Substrate: Fluval (soft for the loaches) and CaribSea mix (mostly Fluval)
Light: Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Temp: ~78
PH: 7.6
Nitrates: ~20
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0

Currently doing a check every 2/3 days and a weekly water change. I add API leaf Zone 24 hours after each water change.

My tank has been up for a little over a month now. The only issues i have had so far is my two small weather loaches look to have fin rot, i took them out and gave them meds for a couple days but their fins dont look much better (only been a couple days since treatment, treatment lasted about a week) and the deaths of two bamboo shrimp within two or three days of them coming home.

Any suggestions would be great, thank you!

P.S. I have what looks like to be algae build up in my Eheim tubing, should i clean these out, how often?

IMG_0646 (1).jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I do know is that in a 110 gallon, you can get a lot more fish. Some angelfish, discus, or gouramis would look good in that tank.

Patience. It's only been a month. Let everything be for a while. The plants need to get established. You have plenty of fish in there to keep they cycling going. After amount 3 months things usually find a balance. Try adding shrimp then.

I also suggest a background.

For cleanup add snails.

I do need to work on my patience, lord knows that!

I don't have a background right now because the tank is set up like a room divider, and also, i have been wanting to get the black devils spike snail, they are beautiful but I'm worried about ordering them online, and the aquarium place near me doesn't have much of a snail selection

Black Devils are stunning. I've ogled them on line. I ship mystery snails priority mail. Only fatalities were in Az heat. Just make sure you have a live delivery guarantee.

Another member of the snail and plant fan club here, let your plants grow in some and your tank stabilize then you can add more fish. Your tastes may change, I went from strictly livebearers and wanting to get rid of snails to a snail nut(dont overfeed) with livebearers, corys, rainbows, and many kinds of snails.

Back
Top Bottom