BBA - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aviran

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g planted tank with about 2.27 wpg. i am using only one 2l bottle of co2 and I have been fighting this algae for a couple of weeks.

I have just had 2 fish die in a matter of days. My ammonia, nitrates, nitrites were at 0-ish.

now my butterfly pleco is having strange looking poop... I don't want to lose any more fish... could this algae be hurting/killing my fish?

Is your Co2 DIY? If it is, did you just recently add it? Try checking your PH. It might be fluctuating and stressing out your fish. I've had BBA outbreaks in my tank and it didn't kill any of my fish.

yes its a dyi... i have a simple line with a air stone on it hanging under the filter intake.

I just tested the ph and it's over 8. It's always been around 6.4 and I haven't tested it since i cleaned the tank on Saturday. What would cause the ph to swing that wildly?

**edit**

i just tested my tap water... which has always been around 7.4 in the past and it is now at 8.4

Have you added anything to your tank recently? If you haven't added anything check your tap water if you use it do to water changes. Co2 normally lowers ph so I doubt it's the co2. Without Co2, what is your ph?

I have heard it said many times that BBA is most often caused by inconsistant Co2 levels. A single 2 liter bottle on a 55g is not nearly enough to get a steady Co2 output.

Back
Top Bottom