BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You bet.... I've tried the RO right from the well and didnt see much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you tried running the tank on shop bought RODI just to see if it makes any difference?

I bought a TDS meter to check the quality of the water to make sure it was 0 TDS. I have also tried cutting it with jugs of spring water, melting still occurred.

From my understanding yes, I talked to the manufacturer about this issue and they were confident that salt was not getting through. The other thing I keep coming back to is micro's. I am dosing about .1ppm of iron through CSM+B 3 times a week. I feel like this is a normal dose but some people are saying to stop dosing it all together.

I have a feeling it's something to do with having water softened with salt, albeit going through the RO system. If you have to go with a softening system and watering plants or filling planted tanks is on your to-do list, I'd consider going the potassium pellet softening systems. I recall reading about this because our potassium pellet system is on the fritz and I was considering going with salt softeners because the pellets are so much cheaper. Well that was until I read the pros vs cons between the two.

Brian, do you think this would have anything to do with my micros? Also I haven't been using any alkaline/acid buffers since the tank KH stays right at 4, would that have an impact?

Brian, do you think this would have anything to do with my micros? Also I haven't been using any alkaline/acid buffers since the tank KH stays right at 4, would that have an impact?

Dude.. he kind of said the salt thing too...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

May I ask a few questions that may have already been answered.

1. Co2 dosing method?
2. Photo period?
3. Flow?

I don't get melting....Also, I don't measure kh, ph, etc and use tap water. I dose macros daily and excel. Micros once a week-Too much and I get long stringy algae. Aqua soil and I don't mess with the system obsessively. I treat it like a bonsai. Too much pruning can kill it. Too much water can drown it. Too much of anything not good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm with Jack on this one. I hardly baby my water chemistry due to great results. I do know I have very high TDS liquid rock tap water in AZ. My previous house had no water softener, and I lived there for 3 years. Even my UG, which I've read prefers soft water, thrives like no other. Must be the aquasoil. I dunno... Sorry BCarl, can't really answer your question on the KH. I don't think it's the micros either.

@Brookster- I know... I wanted to see his opinion on the other thoughts I had too. I talked to a friend and they are going to let me fill up some jugs with city water and I will start making the RO that bypasses the softener again.

@Nano- CO2 is now getting diffused in a rex griggs style reactor.
Photoperiod-Sat + is on by itself for about 1 hr, BML at 40%ish with Sat+ still on for 6 then a fade down with the Sat +
Flow- I have a eheim 2217 with spraybar, aquaclear 30 and a surface skimmer. Swaping my Hydor for a smaller model and going to get that going too.

The micros should be easy to see the effect, If I stop dosing and plants stunt worse than I need more micros. I am going to blend some good ole city water (dechlorinated), cut micros and bypass the RO water from coming through the softener.

Bcarl, you have your sat+ for an hour by itself and then 40% BML and sat+ plus for 6. How long has this been going? What were your results before adding BML and sat+. I have 2 fixtures and they are never on together. Well, they use to be until I decided I wanted to see my tank at night.

According to my understanding, melting can be caused by lack of nutrients. The more light used, the more nutrients are needed. Perhaps, your specimens are starving due to excessive photons?

I used to have the BML at 100%. Look at the pictures at the beginning of the journal. I had that for about 3 months. If and thats a big IF its a nutrient problem its not in the macros.

No, ive had plants melting all week. Another thing i found interesting when i initially cranked up the Co2 i had some really great growth. I kept CO2 elevated and it went back to what it was.

@nano i had the entire foreground covered with repens and so much ar mini i couldnt give it away fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom