Been gone a week - EEKKK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikipike

Aquarium Advice Regular
Boy does my tank look NASTY!

Had to leave last Friday for a week long trip. Made the decision to leave my tank lights on as for multiple reasons I couldn't get a timer before I left & didn't want the boys watching my fish to have to come over 2x a day.

Had a few of the dwarf sag. plants & my water sprite that I made the decison to toss, but I really didn't loose anything else. Almost everything did have at least a few dead leaves, which made for a lot of dead leaves overall. I went through the best I could & cut the dead ones (I know I missed a couple of the dwarf onion leaves, but I didn't feel like dealing with those plants tonight.) Surprisingly, between the 2 petite nana, there was only 1 dead leaf. Tossed the anacharis into one of my betta tanks, dunno if it'll survive, but it was just one plant to many.

Everything has this brown gunk on it. I think it's decay from the dead leaves :( Went out & bought some ghost shrimp (want to see how my bettas treat them before buying any nicer shrimp) hoping they'll help. Woman at the pet store suggested I buy an apple snail for my tank after I specified my tank had live plants :lol:
Any other ideas would be appriciated.

Despite the overall appearence, I have found a few good things. Everything looks more "established". The petite nanas look slightly bigger then when I left. One of the dwarf sags I had to remove to clip had a runner w/ new leaves & another one that appeared to have all dead leaves ended up having 2 new leaves on it. And the a. nana has blossomed :D

PS, i'm very sure the tank looks bad due to to much lighting. Won't be going on any more long trips for a long time & will definately have a timer before then.

I wouldn't buy an apple snail. too often they are mislabeled/mis-sold, and you'll end up with a large snail that LOVES to eat nothing but live plants.

been there, done that. unless you're a pro at ID'ing apple snails and know the species that are plant safe, I wouldn't recommend one.

Check out AppleSnail.Net. Their species page has excellant info that should allow you to determine if the snail you are buying is a Brig and therefore plant safe.

The shrimp have made short work of the gunk & seem to be thriving.

I'm not even going to chance it with a snail from the pet store. I can see couple of barely noticable hairs of algae on my tufa rock, so after the plants are clean i'd be afraid it might turn on my plants.

Back
Top Bottom