been researching light... Need Lowlight plant advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, about 3 months agon when i decided i wanted Live Plants in my Aquarium. .. the Guy at the LFS stold me two of these: http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=112&PROD_ID=01015820021001

So i have 30 watts of light in a 55 gallon aquarium, thats like... not even 1 WPG! So now ive decided i definitely need lowlight plants because my Amazon swords are not growing very well.. they are putting out leaves, they just keep getting thinner and smaller.

Anyway, since i have a Low light aquarium, I already have some Java Fern on the way... i need to know what other Low Light Plants i can get. I don't want to do CO2, ive never had an algae problem, I want a very low maintenence planted aquarium. I love the look of live plants, but don't want to go the High Light/ CO2 route.

You can see all of the plants i have in my signature, which ones of these will go well with the light I have... all advice welcome.

Cool, i already have the java Fern on the way, and Ive got some Crypts, i saw some Aunubias at the fish store i might invest in... so i guess i just leave the plants i already have? I mean, they are growing ok, basically just staying alive.

Thanks, i was actually just looking through that list and it says anarchis is a medium light plant... but mine is doing good.

I guess i started with the wrong plants, i tried doing a DIY CO2 reactor, because i thought i had more light than i do... but that was just too much work. I want to upgrade my light to at least 2 WPG but no more than 2WPG and i want to plant all lowlight plants.

Right now i have swords and Anarchis in the background, but my swords just aren't doing very well at all. All the big leaves keep dying and little thin leaves grow. I traded an Amazon sword to JC for some Java Fern... and once i get rid of the other swords, i was thinking about doing the back completely in anarchis. and then just letting the Java fern take over and mix in with my Crypts and Im gonna leave the dwarf saggitaria in the front because its doing really well. And my moneywort, banan plant, and Rotala Indica are all doing just fine. Even my Tiger Lotus's (the bulbs from WalMart) still look georgous. I guess its mainly just the amazon swords that don't do well in my tank.

Ashley - if you want a relatively cheap alternative to increase your lighting, you may want to check out my ODNO thread. You could easily go over 2 WPG for minimal cost ($40-50 for a 55 gal). AH Supply may also have a kit for you, though I haven't looked for 55 gal stuff.

when you do decide to upgrade you lighting I suggest checking out ebay. You'll find what you need for a bit less than the LFS. But then again, if it isn't much difference, supporting your LFS would be nice too :wink: I went the ebay route for my 55 gallon because even though I have a great LFS, it is the only one around and prices are a bit steep for my shallow-college-student-pockets. Right now I have the potential to go to 4 WPG but I'm keeping it at 2 at the moment because I don't have the CO2 system in place.

Most people have a strip light that came with there aquarium that can be over drivin to give them more light..its cheaper then buying a new striplight and alot cheaper than replacing CF bulbs, even if you can get a good deal on a CF fixture. I tried my best not to say anything..LOL..

greenmagi said:
Most people have a strip light that came with there aquarium that can be over drivin to give them more light..its cheaper then buying a new striplight and alot cheaper than replacing CF bulbs, even if you can get a good deal on a CF fixture. I tried my best not to say anything..LOL..

Do you know of a site that describes how to do this? You've piqued my interest.

Back
Top Bottom