beginer at plants and i need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d1anonly22

Aquarium Advice Freak
so im turning a fridge into a two tank setup for breeding my jack dempseys and i wanted it to be planted, but i have never done live plants before anyone got any kind of advice i would really appreciate it. thank you.

starting a tank and want to plant it

im turning an old fridge into a two tank setup for breeding my jack dempseys and want to plant it anyone got some good advice.

just curious how are you turning a fridge into a fish tank?

the fridge part is at least 70 gallons, and the freezer part is at least thirty, what do you mean by tight? and im using the fridge cause mama likes to eat her babies so the freezer is for mom and dad after the babies are born.

so that when they hatch mom and dad will go in the freezer part, and im sealing it up with plexi glass. so it doesnt leak.

Interesting. Is the fridge laying on it's back, or what? Just curious how that is setup.

If you want to put live plants in it, the biggest area of concern will be lighting requirements. Not sure how that would work with the fridge... a picture or diagram might help.

That's the most creative thing I've seen all week. O_O

I wish it could be standing up like a regular fridge with clear doors but that is just insane. :D

Just look at it as a indoor pond with a twist. As long as you have enough light you should be fine. To much light then you will have to use fertilizers and CO2.

yeah i like to be creative, thinks for the props, and the advice. any of you got suggestions on what type of plants i should use, remember i am still a beginner and have never done plants before.

For lights check out shop light fixtures you may have to change out the tubes. Are you going to use substrate in the outgrow part? If no, go with things that can be anchored down like anubia, java fern, anacheris, guppy grass and mosses if you are wanting floating ones maybe frogbit or red rooted floaters. If you are going to use substrate you might want to try something like water sprite, crypts and some hydro.

the insulation capacity of the tank must be through the roof
the temperature of the water must be really really stable

what does substrate mean exactly. im going to put a 5 inch high section of plexi glass for the area i want the plants to go, because my dempseys hate the gravel and constantly move it, so half the fridge part is going to have gravel or what ever the plants need to grow in.

I think your dempseys might destroy whatever plants you put in there. Might want to try with something cheap like anacharis or hornwort to see what they do.

Back
Top Bottom