Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Beginner - 29G planted tank

Guys I want to start a 29 gallon planted tank with controsoil substrate.Please can anyone suggest me some pros and cons of this substrate as I couldn't find much things about this substrate online. Only the info I got is it doesn't make the water cloudy and doesn't affect the PH like the ADA substrate.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhimrulez View Post
Guys I want to start a 29 gallon planted tank with controsoil substrate.Please can anyone suggest me some pros and cons of this substrate as I couldn't find much things about this substrate online. Only the info I got is it doesn't make the water cloudy and doesn't affect the PH like the ADA substrate.

Never heard of it to be honest. Just use it and see how u go not much can go wrong if u don't add fish from day one

Old 04-08-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
Never heard of it to be honest. Just use it and see how u go not much can go wrong if u don't add fish from day one
So u think fish wont get affected if I add fish from day one after putting the substrate and plants?
Old 04-08-2017, 05:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Some suggested that ADA substrate small 5mm stones will break after sometime to fine power and very difficult to maintain. Any suggestions of ADA substrate?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhimrulez View Post
So u think fish wont get affected if I add fish from day one after putting the substrate and plants?
Lost me here....need to cycle the tank. Theres no magical substrate.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I would hold off adding any livestock until you test the ammonia. Some substrates will contain ammonia at the start. Water changes will be needed to bring the levels down.
Best bet is to do a fishless cycle in your Planted tank. While it is cycling, you will have time to make adjustments to the hardscape and plant layout without worrying about stressing the fish/inverts.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flchamp89 View Post
Lost me here....need to cycle the tank. Theres no magical substrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I would hold off adding any livestock until you test the ammonia. Some substrates will contain ammonia at the start. Water changes will be needed to bring the levels down.
Best bet is to do a fishless cycle in your Planted tank. While it is cycling, you will have time to make adjustments to the hardscape and plant layout without worrying about stressing the fish/inverts.
Yes.... much easier to cycle before stocking with fish, just requires patience!
Old 04-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	1491680298253.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	297640My tank looks like this now. This is a moulded tank from RS Electrical and its top cap is gumed as you can see in the pic. There is a window at the top and it is about 0.7feet * 1.8feet in length. Click image for larger version

Name:	1491680855815.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	297641Click image for larger version

Name:	1491680992305.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	297642Today many of the aquarium shopkeepers told me that we cant make this tank a planted aquarium. This is why I wanted to ask with you guys, is it really not possible to do a low tech tank with this kind of molded aquarium?

Tags
beginner, plant, planted, planted tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com