Beginner - 29G planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhimrulez

Aquarium Advice Regular
Guys I want to start a 29 gallon planted tank with controsoil substrate.Please can anyone suggest me some pros and cons of this substrate as I couldn't find much things about this substrate online. Only the info I got is it doesn't make the water cloudy and doesn't affect the PH like the ADA substrate.

Guys I want to start a 29 gallon planted tank with controsoil substrate.Please can anyone suggest me some pros and cons of this substrate as I couldn't find much things about this substrate online. Only the info I got is it doesn't make the water cloudy and doesn't affect the PH like the ADA substrate.

Never heard of it to be honest. Just use it and see how u go ;) not much can go wrong if u don't add fish from day one

Never heard of it to be honest. Just use it and see how u go ;) not much can go wrong if u don't add fish from day one
So u think fish wont get affected if I add fish from day one after putting the substrate and plants?

Some suggested that ADA substrate small 5mm stones will break after sometime to fine power and very difficult to maintain. Any suggestions of ADA substrate?

I would hold off adding any livestock until you test the ammonia. Some substrates will contain ammonia at the start. Water changes will be needed to bring the levels down.
Best bet is to do a fishless cycle in your Planted tank. While it is cycling, you will have time to make adjustments to the hardscape and plant layout without worrying about stressing the fish/inverts.

Lost me here....need to cycle the tank. Theres no magical substrate.

I would hold off adding any livestock until you test the ammonia. Some substrates will contain ammonia at the start. Water changes will be needed to bring the levels down.
Best bet is to do a fishless cycle in your Planted tank. While it is cycling, you will have time to make adjustments to the hardscape and plant layout without worrying about stressing the fish/inverts.
Yes.... much easier to cycle before stocking with fish, just requires patience!

1491680298253.jpgMy tank looks like this now. This is a moulded tank from RS Electrical and its top cap is gumed as you can see in the pic. There is a window at the top and it is about 0.7feet * 1.8feet in length. 1491680855815.jpg1491680992305.jpgToday many of the aquarium shopkeepers told me that we cant make this tank a planted aquarium. This is why I wanted to ask with you guys, is it really not possible to do a low tech tank with this kind of molded aquarium?

Back
Top Bottom