Beginner Question on Planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheKraken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

Beginner here and I had a few questions in regards to planted tanks.

1. I have a sand substrate in my 10 gallon tank. Can plants still thrive in sand? Obviously they can get uprooted easily but wasnt sure if a sand substrate was ok for plant growth.

2. Dont know how familiar you are with the top fin 10 gallon beginners aquarium, but i have read the lights that come with it arent the best for plant growth (came with two tiny bulbs, one on each side of the cover). I went out and bought a 20 inch Aqueon Single Tube Strip Light which includes an 18 inch "Aquarium Spectrum Flourescent Lamp" Will this do the trick for the plants? I didnt notice the Aqueon box saying anywhere that it "provides day light".

3. I bought some Leaf Zone plant food. Is it worth buying or does it really help with plant growth?

I dont remember what the plants I have are called, however i am going to the pet store later today to pick up some stuff and was going to write down their names if you needed to know specifics. Ive attached a pic of my tank, sorry if its kind of blurry, had to use my web cam as my camera has been currently misplaced. You may be able to identify what i have in there. The only thing i know the name of is the moss ball.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Picture0008.jpg
    Picture0008.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 102
1. I have a sand substrate in my 10 gallon tank. Can plants still thrive in sand? Obviously they can get uprooted easily but wasnt sure if a sand substrate was ok for plant growth. Yes the plants will be fine in sand.

2. Dont know how familiar you are with the top fin 10 gallon beginners aquarium, but i have read the lights that come with it arent the best for plant growth (came with two tiny bulbs, one on each side of the cover). I went out and bought a 20 inch Aqueon Single Tube Strip Light which includes an 18 inch "Aquarium Spectrum Flourescent Lamp" Will this do the trick for the plants? I didnt notice the Aqueon box saying anywhere that it "provides day light".
Is your hood a double or single bulb?

3. I bought some Leaf Zone plant food. Is it worth buying or does it really help with plant growth? Yes i have seen i significant difference in my moneywort, but IMO for Amazon Swords, Anubis, etc it does nothing. For those you need root tabs.

If your tank is like my 10 gallons its a double bulb. In that case you can go to Lowe's or the like and buy two compact florescent 6.7k for like 6 bucks. I did, and that thing grew plants like crazy. I used it to start them before moving them over to my 55g. and for breeding snails for my SAP. Sand is fine for plants, but I find mine did better with some gravel. I think the roots like the anchorage provided.

Either way, whichever hood you decide to go with, shoot for maybe 20 to 30 watts of lighting with a spectrum of 6.5-6.7k. Lumens for those bulbs tend to be around 700 or so (although I'm not sure what the Lumens do). Oh, and buy a little wall timer for your lights.

Yeah, its a double bulb. One bulb for the right and one for the left of the light fixture that sits on my hood. The Aqueon light fixture i bought has an 18" flourescent aquarium spectrum lamp. The specs on the fixture itself say 120 volt, 19 watt, 60 hz It doesnt really give me any other information than that. The fixture itself cost me close to 40 bucks, so if this thing is overkill i can still take it back.

The Watts are fine. The bulb, when you buy it, will be when you determine the color. 6k is best for plants. Although, you can use a 10k, but I find the coloring of the plants is a little bland. Washed out sort of. You'll get more light out of using the hood it came with though, with those two bulbs. I wouldn't call it overkill, the more light you have the better for your tank (usually), but if you want to take it back and save yourself the $40 you can. 10g tanks are kinda like these all purpose impossible to screw up things now, so I'm sure whatever you go with you'll do fine.

Good info guys. That pic Fishman linked looks the same as my light fixture that came with the Top Fin 10 Gal. Ill return the Aqueon light fixture, get my $40 back and go the cheaper route to home depot or walmart and pick up those bulbs.

Looks like some of your plants are non-aquatic. The ones with the white strips on the outer part of the leaves. The one on the very right and the 2nd from the left.

Its very possible, Ill find out what the names are and let you know. I bought them at petsmart and just assumed since they were in the fish section they were aquatic.

TheKraken said:
Its very possible, Ill find out what the names are and let you know. I bought them at petsmart and just assumed since they were in the fish section they were aquatic.

I bought the same plant from petco and was informed here that it is non-aquatic. It'll just rot and will foul your tank.

Can you recommend any plants that would be good for 10 gal tank? Unfortunately, I am going through a "fish-in" cycle and have to go to the petstore and pick up a few things. Was thinking of nabbing some replacement plants

TheKraken said:
Can you recommend any plants that would be good for 10 gal tank? Unfortunately, I am going through a "fish-in" cycle and have to go to the petstore and pick up a few things. Was thinking of nabbing some replacement plants

If you're going to petco/petsmart, get some anacharis since I know they both sell it. Fast grower, eats up no3 and fish love it. You can float or plant it.

Hello Everyone,

Beginner here and I had a few questions in regards to planted tanks.

1. I have a sand substrate in my 10 gallon tank. Can plants still thrive in sand? Obviously they can get uprooted easily but wasnt sure if a sand substrate was ok for plant growth.
It can work just fine.

It is probably not of sufficient wattage to grow much at all in your tank. Some low light plants will live but you won't see a ton of growth.

3. I bought some Leaf Zone plant food. Is it worth buying or does it really help with plant growth?

It will probably have very little to no effect with your current setup. It is a mix of trace elements and potassium.

I dont remember what the plants I have are called, however i am going to the pet store later today to pick up some stuff and was going to write down their names if you needed to know specifics. Ive attached a pic of my tank, sorry if its kind of blurry, had to use my web cam as my camera has been currently misplaced. You may be able to identify what i have in there. The only thing i know the name of is the moss ball.

Thanks for your help!

My answers above in blue. I do see one plant, Dracena sanderiana (whit ribbon plant) that is non-aquatic. It won't survive long term if it is submerged.

EDIT: Fail on my part. I should have read the rest more closely. Looks like you already got some good answers.

Last edited:
Alrighty, back from the pet store. Looks like Im 2 for 4 on the plants I bought. Looks like I did buy the Dracena plant. This one was called the dracaena variegatus, but I'm assuming its basically the same type of plant. After doing a little internet browsing this plant too is not aquatic. The other plant you may have had trouble seeing in the picture I posted is the peacock fern, another non aquatic plant apparently. Darn it!

Petsmart was also out of the anacharis plant. I cant tell what the other plant is in the back left corner, i think it may be an amazon sword? If thats the case, from what i read, it may get too big for my tank. Oh well, looks like i may have some new potted plants : /

Back
Top Bottom