Beginner to Planted Tank - Lighting Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coco1019

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried reading the Beginner's Guide to Lighting that is in the sticky up top, but it was just too above my head. Makes me feel like an idiot :confused: but that's okay.

I would like to plant my new 55 with low light plants. I have a black thumb so the less maintenance, the better. That said, I would like to make sure I give them the best start possible.

I could really use some assistance with lighting, please.

My kit came with one bulb and I had to contact Aqueon to get info on it. This is what he said in his email:

"the bulb that comes with it is an 8000K full spectrum daylight. The light fixtures only hold an 18” bulb in each which are only 15 watts. The ballasts in the fixtures can only fire up to a 20 watt bulb. The three bulbs that we have that would do well for plants are the one you have, the Floramax and the Coralife 10000K. I've attached the spectrums for you."

Floramax

Coralife

Now, the guy at the LFS is telling me that I need Life-Glo 2 Fluorescent Bulb, 15 Watt, 18 Inches by Hagen.

Do either of them offer good advice or should I look at something completely different?

If your bulbs are new they should be ok to start. The LifeGlo and floramax bulbs are both nice. You should consider getting a better light fixture or adding a second one to your tank at some point. 30 watts of light over a 55 won't grow many plants. The light fixture that came with your tank is better suited to seeing your fish than growing plants.

CorallineAlgae said:
30 watts of light over a 55 won't grow many plants. The light fixture that came with your tank is better suited to seeing your fish than growing plants.
I must respectfully disagree.
I have a 32 watt single T8 bulb @ 8000K on a 75g and it would take dosing weed killer to get the plants to stop growing. My Dwarf Sag even pops new sprouts about once a week. Watts per gallon means nothing, never has never will. Use good full spectrum bulbs and a little bit of fertilizer and your low light plants will be fine.

blert said:
I must respectfully disagree.
I have a 32 watt single T8 bulb @ 8000K on a 75g and it would take dosing weed killer to get the plants to stop growing. My Dwarf Sag even pops new sprouts about once a week. Watts per gallon means nothing, never has never will. Use good full spectrum bulbs and a little bit of fertilizer and your low light plants will be fine.

I would put more faith in a single 32w bulb over 2 15w bulbs but I didn't mean that it couldn't be done, only that the selection of plants would be pretty limited. My first two planted tanks were 55s with T8s on one and T12s on the other. Both grew plants like mad for years. I understand what you're saying. It can definitely be done with the right plant choices and a little TLC. I honestly didn't mean to sound harsh about it. I'm not a light maniac. I'm really pretty conservative by today's standards.

I see both sides to this one. I personally would just upgrade fixtures and go with a cheap 2 bulb t5ho, the oddysea one is 50-60 bucks shipped.

With that said, I've grown plenty of plants under cheap t8 shop lights (and still do), so I know it can be done, but the difference between a stock t8 light setup and an aftermarket light can be night and day. Going with a higher output fixture will open up your options a lot more as to what you can grow and how well it grows them, however the downside is that you may end up having a little too much light (for a low tech setup) and need to dial it back a little bit.

Just going with some better bulbs geared towards plant growth might help a little, but personally I wouldn't waste the money if you are already running 8000k full spectrum bulbs.

Thank you!

So the consensus is that it would be best if I got a new fixture?

Oceangirl - thanks for that link. It provided some good information.

Coco1019 said:
Thank you!

So the consensus is that it would be best if I got a new fixture?

Oceangirl - thanks for that link. It provided some good information.

Personally, I would, especially if you foresee yourself going into higher tech later down the road. Both ways can work, but its much easier to reduce light intensity than it is to increase it.

If you are needing to buy new bulbs anyway you may as well pick up an Odyssea fixture. The bulbs that come with the fixture are not real good but they should last you a good six to eight months, then you could upgrade to better bulbs at that time.
If you don't need new bulbs I would run with what you have until you do, just stick with low light plants.

Yeah, the kit (the isn't set up yet so technically I don't need new bulbs, just want my plants to grow) comes with 2 24" fixtures with the 18" bulbs. The onei linked to extends to 26" so I should be okay with 2? Or do I just find a 48"?

Coco1019 said:
Ah, okay. I missed the link before.

I like the look of the Blue Moon LEDs. Would I still be able to get them with the one you linked? It didn't specify where the other one did.

Doesn't look like they have a 48" with blue LEDs in a two bulb fixture.

blert said:
If you are needing to buy new bulbs anyway you may as well pick up an Odyssea fixture. The bulbs that come with the fixture are not real good but they should last you a good six to eight months, then you could upgrade to better bulbs at that time.
If you don't need new bulbs I would run with what you have until you do, just stick with low light plants.

Definitely a good (and cheap) suggestion. The two lamp 48" fixture would be the one to get. That would mean you would only need to change two lightbulbs out at a time and you'd be able to grow lots of plants without needing co2. No need for the original fixture at all and the total cost shouldn't be much more than buying bulbs.

What do I need to just plant a small amount of plants in the corner of a 55g tank with a Oscar in it that gets nearly no sun light ? For equipment wise do I need anything ? Do I need CO2?

Shank said:
What do I need to just plant a small amount of plants in the corner of a 55g tank with a Oscar in it that gets nearly no sun light ? For equipment wise do I need anything ?

Do I need CO2 ?

Shank said:
What do I need to just plant a small amount of plants in the corner of a 55g tank with a Oscar in it that gets nearly no sun light ? For equipment wise do I need anything ? Do I need CO2?

Not trying to be a jerk but, please start your own thread as this question really has no connection to Coco's situation.
Maybe a Mod will split it for you.

Coco1019 said:

I didn't even notice... You linked a four bulb fixture. If you get two of those and run all eight bulbs you are going to be way far out from low lighting and will be needing proper ferts and CO2 to keep the mass amounts of algae at bay. You will want to rotate two bulbs on and two off (per fixture) with the timer.

Back
Top Bottom