Bert’s Ada gardens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ll check back in mid-March.
That will give you plenty of time for a plant list and planting scheme.
That black lava rock is very earthy looking. You could probably get Monte Carlo to grow directly on it.

I considered monte, I’m thinking it might grow abit thick tho and hide the roots abit much. I’m thinking of using fissidon on the rocks and hair grass around the front edges. Most likely Xmas moss on the tree but monte would also look cool hanging off it. So much to consider! I need to get it right or the scape will disappear [emoji848]

Quick update, the 30c is under way with the hardscape complete. I’ve gone with a aqua one AC 100 hob for the filter. I think a canister would be far too much flow for this small tank. Even the smallest canisters are putting out 400l per hour (would be 20x turnover per hour.) the hob puts out about 180lph so about 7x turn over per hour.

My co2 diffuser has arrived, I’ve gone with an up aqua glass diffuser.

Ive ordered some Bacter 100 as well as waiting for the tourmoil bc (substrate additives) and I’ve also got some clear super here ready to go.

I’ve also put in another order for some more vine wood that should be here next week, it should give me a few more options for the layout of the 60p. [emoji106]

My 60h is almost full grown in. Still battling the odd spot of BGA and BBA. BBA popped up after a week of running the tank without co2 it over Christmas/new year.

I don’t mind the scape in this tank but I don’t like the fact I only had small sieryu stones to work with and had to use some large rocks from the garden. The rocks don’t match and it bugs me every day [emoji23]

I’ve decided to pull it down once the 60p arrives and I’ll be doing a “mini” Dutch scape with some pretty demanding plants. I’ll be running 100% lighting (150+ par at substrate) in an attempt to get those intense reds.

Plant list I’ve come up with for the Dutch scape:
Rotala macranda “green”
Ludwigia glandulosa
Pogostemon helfari
Hc Cuba
Bylxa japonica
Ludwigia ovalis
Lindernia sp green
Microcarpea minimia
Proserpinica. palustris
Mayaca fluviatilis
Hygro guinea
Ar mini

5 weeks couldn’t come quick enough!

I’ll get a 60h pic when the lights come on [emoji16]

https://i.loli.net/2018/02/22/5a8df7fd60508.jpg

https://i.loli.net/2018/02/22/5a8df803358b0.jpg

Man, I forgot about this setup. The HOB will make things simpler and the Bacter 100 should jump start things. About the rocks...they will match better with a coating of algae. [emoji1]

Man, I forgot about this setup. The HOB will make things simpler and the Bacter 100 should jump start things. About the rocks...they will match better with a coating of algae. [emoji1]

Haha yea the dusting of algae has helped a lot! It’s really not that bad. I think I’m just being fussy [emoji23]

That’s interesting on the BBA (from a tank far, far away!) - was it just on plants when not running CO2?

The plants haven’t been touched actually lol it only grows on the rocks. Only the ones I took from the garden as well. Pretty strange really.
And I’ve just noticed I’m out of co2 again [emoji37]

Here’s the 60h all grown out (well close)
Excuse the slick on the water, haven’t water changed for 2 weeks or had the skimmer in cause I’m lazy haha

https://i.loli.net/2018/02/22/5a8e1159b18cd.jpg

Looking good.

And I also grow various and amazingly awesome algeas in my tank :)

Haha thanks [emoji23] yea I still need to find the balance with this tank. I think I need to tweek my ferts abit. I think I’m dosing too much kno3. I’ve been abit unaccurate with the measurements on this tank and I think it’s giving me a few issues. I also suspect a co2 leak somewhere as I’m chewing through the co2

New scape coming soon! I’m pulling down the 60h and turning it into a Dutch scape due to me pulling down the 60g mid April.

I’ve put together a plants list and ordered what I require. Should be here next week! [emoji106]

Here’s the plant list:
Rotala macranda “green”
Ludwigia glandulosa
Pogostemon helfari
Hc Cuba
Bylxa japonica
Ludwigia ovalis
Lindernia sp green
Microcarpea minimia
Proserpinica. palustris
Mayaca fluviatilis
Hygro guinea
Ar mini (maybe at this stage)

Final shot of the current scape:
https://i.loli.net/2018/03/15/5aa98f82a14f7.jpg

Looking great - looking forward to next one.

Are you getting any driftwood or re-using materials?

Nah no hardscape at all for the Dutch [emoji16] I’m still trying to come up with a driftwood/rock scape for the 60p before it arrives. Really struggling to put together something I like to be honest lol [emoji23]

Eh, so just plants and fish in tank?

Layered gravel?? Struggling with concept of simple tank here...

Basically what my 60g is now but a small version. Google Dutch aquascape, that’s what I’m doing but in a small version [emoji16]

Lol - sticking with ‘natural’ (disorganised chaos :) ).

Haha yea I’m sure the fishes appreciate it more as well! More like a natural habitat [emoji16]. Every attempt I’ve had at Dutch I’ve failed to keep that tidy look so I’m really going to have a good crack this time and see if I can keep abit of order. I think my plant choice will make it easier this time also [emoji16]

Proserpinica. palustris is a plant I’m really looking forward to growing, at $10 a stem I hope I get it right [emoji23]

Yikes, good size stems. I hate at auctions where I pay some ridiculous amount for buce with 3 leaves.

Yeah, I start off tidy but can’t stand spaces in gravel if I have left over stem plants from trimming.

Only 4-5 weeks left until I pull down this tank, will be a shame to see it go! I’ve really enjoyed my plant hoarding [emoji23][emoji23] I’ve learnt so much from this tank, ferts, co2, lighting etc etc. I’ve killed it off 2 times and brang it back to life.

I’ve also learnt how to trim plants and grow them thick etc etc.

Here’s a final shot:
https://i.loli.net/2018/03/18/5aae3a8a9c7f1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom