Best Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmyhetten9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 38 gallon planted tank. Starting to get a little green algae on rocks and wondering what are the best bottom feeders for a planted tank? I currently don't have any algae eaters since my tank just cycled a couple weeks ago.

I'd love something that eats algae, food, excrement, etc. Any advice much appreciated.

thanks,

James

Attachments

• Tank Close.jpg
    Tank Close.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 132
Your tank looks great, you can buy nerite Snails they are great algae eater or a few otocinclus but they need a mature tank,they are the best algae eaters imo

Sent from my 801EM using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Algae Problem

Hello Jimmy...

Most aquarium fish will eat algae, it's a good diet supplement. Corydoras would likely be at the top of the list along with other algae eaters like Guppies, Platys and Mollies. If you already have enough fish in the tank, then a few Ramshorn snails will make a meal of most kinds of algae.

Large, frequent water changes will help keep it under control as will floating plants like Hornwort and Anacharis (common water weed). They use up nutrients quickly to the point algae basically starves and shrinks. Anacharis also gives off a chemical that most kinds of algae don't like, so it doesn't grow well. The more of this plant in the tank, the less algae you'll have in there.

B

I've read Siamese algae eaters are the best, but true Siamese algae eaters are hard to find. I like my bristle nose Pleco because he goes everywhere even on plants without harming them. Snails of well as do some types of shrimp, although I have no experience with inverts.

I wouldn't suggest plecos or algae eaters for algae. A lot of plecos will get lazy as they get older or only eat algea when they're really hungry.

I'd say something like Panda Garra. They are awesome patterned fish and absolutely go CRAZY on algae in tanks. Just keep in mind that they like to school, so about 5 is a good number for them. They stay at about 2.5 inches if memory serves me right.

Ottos would do nicely, too, though.

garra_panda_110601a1_w0640.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

Wow, all great information. Thanks every one!

I like the idea of the plants that fight algae.

I'm a little leery of snails since my tank is still new and not well established.

I also read that Siamese Algae Eaters are amazing but it's almost impossible to find real ones. The pet stores around here don't even carry the fakes.

I'm curious about the Panda Garra. Haven't heard of them before. Are they aggressive? School of 5? Would that be too many for a 38 gallon planted tank? Do they eat plants?

Thanks,

James

James you've got a lovely looking tank.

People have already suggested great options for algae eaters.

Best form of getting rid of algae is to stop the reason for it appearing. Most commonly down to the length of photoperiod. How long do you run lights?

I agree with getting rid of the source.

I've been running lights for 8 hours a day with Co2 dosing when they're on. I potentially have been overfeeding a little bit. I'm using food that sinks really fast even when I just do a small pinch. I think it will be better when I add more fish. Is 8 hours too long? I've heard of people doing longer and I don't want my fish in the dark for too long of a period since the tank is in a unlit room.

thanks,

James

6-8 hours is sort of the norm. Algae prevention is a balancing act between light, co2 and ferts. Hard to say without knowing tank specifics. Im no expert on it anyway tbh

Back
Top Bottom